1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start loading for the 1911. What projectiles do you like which would have availability? Occasional target shooting out back. I don’t use much I grab the .40’s first

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
A couple of the best sources for a true FMJ are Precision Delta (bulk by the 2K) and Zero bullets from Roze Distribution. Both very accurate and reasonable. For plated, XTreme manufacturing. Usually some good deals on shipping.

·
Super Moderator
15,046 Posts
For me, 200gr LSWC's have been my bullet of choice for 45acp since I started shooting in the mid-60's. Nowadays I like the coated ones better than plain lead. Performance is the same. It's just aesthetics.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Hey Dub, I just took 2 Advil for you! (y)
Here's the funny part......look at where my son tossed yesterday's mail....a case of 124gr hp's from Montana Gold.

I can't get mad at him because there wasn't anywhere to place it at the bottom of the stairs due to all the 200gr stuff. :D

He said he heard the dogs barking at the mail lady....and he ran out and took the package off her truck and brought it in. Good guy.

Gonna either break it down into small trips....or have him slump it upstairs later today.

I think I have a fairly good base to work with on 9mm/.38Super & .45acp. Rifle bullets are in good shape for hunting and then .223 & .308 target.....somewhat okay with the 6.5 tips.

Have some 10mm to start with.

Lacking are the bullets desired for .44 mag & .357 mag.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I don't shoot a lot of lead projectiles any more. I often shoot Berry's plated bullets and RMR jacketed. I also have shot a lot of xtreme plates. It is to some extent and availability thing, though that has gotten MUCH better over the last four months. I just loaded up a batch of Berry's 230 HP plates bullets.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I need to start loading for the 1911. What projectiles do you like which would have availability? Occasional target shooting out back. I don’t use much I grab the .40’s first
You'll get better info if you provide more specific information.
What kind of firearm you'll be using?
What powder do you have to work with?

What power level do you want to achieve?
Usually people want to simulate standard military ammo or create something with less recoil for casual target shooting. Often, the firearm itself will limit what kind of ammo you can use.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I stock Precision Delta for FMJ (.45 acp and 9mm), and use S-N-S Casting for my cast (switched to their coated).

Grumpy

Reactions: Catmanran

·
Registered
61 Posts
Missouri Bullets

or these is about all I shoot

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
OK,.... can't keep it shut any longer.

Has anyone, but me, found the HARD lube on commercial lead, totally inadequate, or, is it just me?

ANYONE?

I quit turpentining their hard lube, off my commercial purchases, and started applying my own soft lube, over a decade ago ( still have quite a few hundred :sneaky: ),... because of leading. I couldn't (back then) get any commercial supplier to sell me their boolits without their hard lube applied,... which is the main reason I expanded on my casting set up.

With my own soft lube, my barrels have been more shiny after shooting, that before! (y)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
AZ
I don't care for the hard wax lube either.
In fact, I recently found an old box of cast bullets and promptly relubed them with my own softer alox blend.

I load SNS cast bullets for my coworker. It's a 230 RN non coated bullet.
It has a hard wax lube but that's ok because I'm loading it to just barely make major.
Maybe about 740fps or less. At that speed you could use the fat off your leftover pork chops. 😂

(Ps. Yeah, I've done something like that before. I call those my "anti-jihad" bullets)
But getting back to the op, for back porch plinking you can't go wrong with a coated 230 round nose from SNS, blue, bayou, etc.
Properly loaded, they should feed and function any gun at fairly low cost.
My observation has been that bullet availability, in general, has been pretty good nowadays.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts