1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
AZ
I don't care for the hard wax lube either.
In fact, I recently found an old box of cast bullets and promptly relubed them with my own softer alox blend.

I load SNS cast bullets for my coworker. It's a 230 RN non coated bullet.
It has a hard wax lube but that's ok because I'm loading it to just barely make major.
Maybe about 740fps or less. At that speed you could use the fat off your leftover pork chops. 馃槀

(Ps. Yeah, I've done something like that before. I call those my "anti-jihad" bullets)
But getting back to the op, for back porch plinking you can't go wrong with a coated 230 round nose from SNS, blue, bayou, etc.
Properly loaded, they should feed and function any gun at fairly low cost.
My observation has been that bullet availability, in general, has been pretty good nowadays.

When the coated lead boolit craze began, I was attracted to it, but, I was getting such excellent results from my soft lube, I just continued.

But, the ease and ability to coat many at one time, rather than my, one at a time, method,.... was an itch I couldn't scratch!

Lately ( that past year, or,so ;) ), I have been experimenting with MOLLY coating (in a vibrator) my cast lead, like I do with my 30-06sprg copper jacketed loads. I haven't had any negative results with lead /molly/ coatings, but, I never set up some extensive,serious loading / shooting, to get to a more definitive conclusion. Maybe, this conversation will reignite me!!(y)

Especially, since lately I have been rebuilding my cast boolit stock,.... and, when I start loading them, maybe I will get more serious about moly coating,... thanks for the thought!

Registered
I shoot mostly 200 gr cast RN these days cause I shoot a 625 revolver and the RN load better. Do still use 200gr Cast swc for bullseye. The RN feed better in the autos, even feed in my CMP GI gun, the SWC won't. Regular cast does smoke, if this is a problem for you then use a coated, plated or jacketed bullet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You'll get better info if you provide more specific information.
What kind of firearm you'll be using?
What powder do you have to work with?

What power level do you want to achieve?
Usually people want to simulate standard military ammo or create something with less recoil for casual target shooting. Often, the firearm itself will limit what kind of ammo you can use.
I have a Remington R1 in safe about 5-6 years. I鈥檇 like to load some ammo for. I鈥檓 not going to do much with it just outside the back door shoot a few mags once in a while. I have a Dillon 550. For powder I have a surplus of hp38 and tightgoup. I have a smaller supply of cfe pistol which ideally I鈥檇 like to use for the 45. I don鈥檛 need high power. Accuracy is nice.

Premium Member
OK,.... can't keep it shut any longer.

Has anyone, but me, found the HARD lube on commercial lead, totally inadequate, or, is it just me?
Hard lube is purely so the bullets still look pretty after a bumpy ride; they're pretty useless on most handgun bullets as they're too hard to help form a good seal.

Registered
Bullets are heavy so shipping/handling fees is a big consideration. Find a quality caster close to you. I've been buying from a few that are close and often do local gun shows.

Premium Member
Most commercial cast (lubed) bullets I've bought have been REALLY smokey, especially indoors.

The new poly-coated bullets don't smoke, but seem like they give off a slight "Burnt" smell when fired.
It's funny, I'd been using regular lube on bullets for decades and grew so used to the smoke I didn't even notice it any more. I only made the switch to coated when my boss was shooting my 1911 at an indoor range and commented how smoky my ammo was - so I realized he was actually right and dove into coating.

As for the burnt smell - can't say I've ever noticed, TBH.

Registered
It's funny, I'd been using regular lube on bullets for decades and grew so used to the smoke I didn't even notice it any more. I only made the switch to coated when my boss was shooting my 1911 at an indoor range and commented how smoky my ammo was - so I realized he was actually right and dove into coating.

As for the burnt smell - can't say I've ever noticed, TBH.
Back when I started reloading and using them, it seemed all cast bullets were lubed with either beeswax or Alox. Some old-timers had their own secret blends.:rolleyes: Most were almost as smoky as shooting my black powder cap & ball revolvers. The next generation of 'hard' lubes needed to be heated for the old sizing presses. They had electric heater plates that ya put between the press and bench, but the entire press got hot.

Registered
For what, just plinking or perhaps double duty in a pinch?

Matt's Bullets 200gr RNLHP. Yep, they're lubed lead but they expand dramatically and really, anything you load might have to do whatever in a pinch!

Zero FMJ-these are quality projectiles that you could easily make copies of military ball ammo with, they're more than serviceable and suffer none of the weakness of plated bullets.

I'm just beginning to use coated bullets. So far I've got some Bear Creek bullets and they really look good though I haven't had a chance to use any yet but I am impressed by their service and the apparent quality.

Several bullet manufacturers offer free shipping after a quantity/price threshold is reached and that is a valid consideration if you find that their bullets perform well enough for you.

Premium Member
I might be a barbarian, but I鈥檝e been shooting hard cast from many different suppliers for a loooong time. Even the old 鈥淒ennys Shooters Supply鈥 mail order stuff from before the interweb and cell phone era. ALL of it was hard lubed. Never had a problem unless I was pushing them to hard and should have used a gas check. Sounds like I am at a rather significant disadvantage since I don鈥檛 cast. It is amazing though鈥.I can put DEWC鈥檚 through the same hole! 馃檪

Registered
Many commercial casters include S&H in their on-line, mail-order prices , as do the ones I buy from. But their prices at gun shows or at their retail stores are usually a few bucks cheaper.

Premium Member
Sounds like I am at a rather significant disadvantage since I don鈥檛 cast.
You are ;) There's nothing like being able to make the best style of bullets when you need them from the right hardness of alloy, size 'em to match your bore/chambers and powdercoat 'em purty colors. Checks dig them :)

I got into casting decades ago in Africa because once my dad and I had learned how to reload ammo, we often couldn't find projectiles... so it was a matter of self-sufficiency and pretty easy to learn.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts