1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting some 45acp bird shot for scarying birds away at the farm and stunning snakes when I go prairie dog hunting this summer.

I have shot bird-shot (shot-shell) from a 22 revolver, but never a 1911A1.

Any idea what to look for/watch out for?

Regards,

-Warlock

·
Banned
350 Posts
What would Elmer Keith think of that?

I've used it in the 44 magnum. If I remember right it puts out an 8 inch spread at about 15 feet.
They'e fun to play with but everytime I've used them I have to look over my shoulder to make sure Elmer Keith is not watching. Can you imagine what he would say about them?! LOL

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
CCI makes .45 acp shotshells . They come in a 10 pk for $7-$8

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
Have to admit , I've never tried them . The shot capsule has a RN ball profile . Looks like it should feed .
We sell about 30-40 packs a year . Either they're working or they're not being shot as we haven't heard any complaints .

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Shotshells in a pistol are fun. With a little practice, you can amaze your friends with your new aerial shooting skills. Its best, though, to use a revolver to avoid cycling problems, and be sure to do your reloads out of anyone's sight.:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
CCI Shotshells are light loads. You may need a lighter recoil spring for them to cycle correctly (my Kimber 5" will cycle them with anything below 13#)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
AZ Husker, I have shot CCI shotshells out of my CQB full-size and Compact with no cycling problems. Granted, I probably haven't shot more than 30 rounds, 25 or out out of the full-size, so the sampling is a little skimpy.

The only problem with the #9 shot is that out of a rifled barrel, there are fliers. The pattern, in general, also opens up quite quickly. With shotshells, I have no doubt I could replicate Annie Oakley's sort of trademark riding and shooting routine where balloons were shot at full gallop. The pattern opens that fast.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You're not going to stun snakes, you're going to kill them, which is fine as far as I'm concerned, but understand what you're shooting. I've shot a number of these rounds from my .45 and believe me, they're serious. You could easily kill a squirrel with one of these rounds from up to ten or twelve feet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts