1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Does the .38 super feed and strike/glide up the ramp on the [unramped] barrel, or is it supposed to be riding up the frame and THEN riding into the barrel?

Today I was able to figure out what was what and get my conversion working [extractor hook/alignment/tension issue- couldn't feed].

After I got the ejector tweaked, I was able to fire it just fine in my .45acp Caspian frame [with .38super ejector and .38super slide/upper].

In observing, the rounds were pushed forward by the slide and strike the 'ramp' of my swinging-link barrel, and then glide into the chamber.

Since this seems to be the correct alignment, where is the concern that the .38super barrels may have a 'lip' sticking over the .45acp frame ramp area?

Mine lines up just flush. Not the 1/32" gap Kuhnhausen recommends, but flush.

Am I missing something on the alignment side for accurate feeding?

I didn't try hollowpoints- but would probably only use those in a .45 or 9mm anyway- and keep the .38 super for target/range work.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Generally speaking, using a .45acp frame that has a .45acp ejector will not work properly if simply replacing the slide and a .38 super barrel. The 9mm/.38 super ejectors are not the same specs as a .45acp ejector, and the .45acp ejector is made for the wider diameter case of the .45acp round.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Also, using a .45acp slide stop may not work properly if changing the upper to a .38 super barrel and slide..... the nub that fits inside the frame of a 9mm/.38 super slide stop needs to be slightly longer to properly reach the follower of a 9mm/.38 super magazine......otherwise, when the last round is fired, the slide may not lock back......

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally speaking, using a .45acp frame that has a .45acp ejector will not work properly if simply replacing the slide and a .38 super barrel. The 9mm/.38 super ejectors are not the same specs as a .45acp ejector, and the .45acp ejector is made for the wider diameter case of the .45acp round.
Yep- that is why I fitted a .38super ejector and had the .45 slide milled to accept it also. Now I can just run one ejector and swap top ends. I am using the EGW Heavy Duty .38super ejector.
Also, using a .45acp slide stop may not work properly if changing the upper to a .38 super barrel and slide..... the nub that fits inside the frame of a 9mm/.38 super slide stop needs to be slightly longer to properly reach the follower of a 9mm/.38 super magazine......otherwise, when the last round is fired, the slide may not lock back......
Yep, I have a .38super/9mm slide stop that I use as part of the upper. That gets swapped in whenever I swap top ends.

Just looking to confirm that .38super ammo normally strikes the barrel feed ramp when loading- instead of striking the frame feed ramp and then gliding up onto the barrel feed ramp and then into the barrel [like .45acp].

Am I on the right path here?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I have a Colt frame, .45 acp top end, and a .38 Super top end. I also have both a .45 ejector and .38 Super ejector. Changing calibers is a snap: Greg Derr, when tweaking the combo all I need to do to change calibers is to remove a top end, change ejectors, and installing the other top end. Easy Peasy!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Colt frame, .45 acp top end, and a .38 Super top end. I also have both a .45 ejector and .38 Super ejector. Changing calibers is a snap: Greg Derr, when tweaking the combo all I need to do to change calibers is to remove a top end, change ejectors, and installing the other top end. Easy Peasy!
Is it really necessary to use a .45 ejector?

I ask as I have a .38super ejector that has functioned just fine in my pistol. I've fired about 300 rounds of .45 through it and only 50 rounds of .38super- but no problems with ejection of either.

What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Is it really necessary to use a .45 ejector?

I ask as I have a .38super ejector that has functioned just fine in my pistol. I've fired about 300 rounds of .45 through it and only 50 rounds of .38super- but no problems with ejection of either.

What am I missing?
What size is your gun, fulls size or smaller?

The full sized (Gov't spec) 1911 uses a different width ejector with corresponding clearance slot in the slide depending on caliber. The 45 is a narrower ejector that does not extend as far inboard as the smaller caliber ejector. That is unless someone has modified a 45 ACP slide to use the wider smaller caliber ejector. The shorter guns (at least all Colt manufactured) use the wider ejector for all calibers including 45ACP. The difference there is in the length of the nose and that can vary considerably.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello BBBBill

I have a 5" Govt sized frame, with a .38Super long nose ejector installed, which I've dressed down for proper ejection.

The slide is a Caspian .45 slide that I had them mill the channel for the extra width of the .38super ejector, so that I wouldn't have to swap upper AND ejector each time.

On another pistol, I used files to do this. However, for the Caspian I had it milled as I was going for a high quality race gun feel/build- not a shade-tree mechanic [me] build.

I tested ejector/extractors after my range trip. I had firing pins out, and ran 4 live rounds through my RIA .38Super GI, and then 4 rounds through my Caspian home-build.

The interesting thing is that each live round jammed upon ejection on the RIA .38 super, as the nose of the bullet would strike the inside of the slide and it couldn't pivot past it for ejection.
However, on the Caspian, it just barely cleared the slide. It touched, but it still ejected normally.

The Caspian is the .45 that I have a .38 upper for.

Here is a pic of this build: sorry, not the best color capture:

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I have a 5" Govt sized frame, with a .38Super long nose ejector installed, which I've dressed down for proper ejection...
You should be fine as long as it is not too long. That is doubtful as the case length for .45 and .38S is the same. As noted the shorter guns use the same width ejector. Lots of noise about the wider ejector not being safe in a .45 due to the possibility of the ejector hitting the primer and setting it off, but most fail to realize the the Commander length and shorter guns have had the wider ejector from day one.

Safety tip for those folk - Don't hold your hand over the ejection port when ejecting a live round on any caliber gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts