1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First for me loading. I know this is normal for many who have been reloading for years. Spent the last few days finalizing the dies on my new Dillon 750. i finally made some time to load some test rounds and got to shoot them earlier Today. I took 2 pistols; my 5 inch custom built by a local smith I know and my Guncrafter No Name commander.
45 acp 230 gr Frontier CMJ.
Titegroup powder 4.6 grains
OAL 1.255
Crimp .472
All my test rounds went bang...;), both pistols cycled perfectly and ejected.
Now I can make a good size batch and look for a chronograph to see how consistent they are.
All in all, I’m Very happy with today’s results.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Congrats, glad they worked well for you. It feels good to shoot your own and know they are better and less expensive than what you can buy off the shelf.

·
Super Moderator
14,341 Posts
I agree David (as usual)! Plantar - you are about to discover just a few reasons why many of us have been reloading for decades! Congrats!

Reactions: DubfromGa and VF-1

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
I hope you have the powder check die. Getting a double-charge will ruin your day.

I also load .45ACP on my new 750, but have a few more decades of experience w/ my old 550. It is easy to make a mistake w/ a progressive press. Safety first.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen. I was excited and a bit anxious to get this first group down range. I thought I was going to have a problem because the load data I used was off their website, but the label on the powder jug said to use 5.5 gr.
the range given was 4.4-4.8 gr; hence the 4.6 I used. Had I just went off the jug I’m guessing I would’ve had a problem. Alls well that ends well I guess. My 9 mm dies are enroute, but I’m going to load some more 45acp just to get more comfortable with

·
Super Moderator
14,341 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. I was excited and a bit anxious to get this first group down range. I thought I was going to have a problem because the load data I used was off their website, but the label on the powder jug said to use 5.5 gr.
the range given was 4.4-4.8 gr; hence the 4.6 I used. Had I just went off the jug I’m guessing I would’ve had a problem. Alls well that ends well I guess. My 9 mm dies are enroute, but I’m going to load some more 45acp just to get more comfortable with
Great job IMO, err on the side of caution; and ALWAYS check multiple sources for load data if it is new to you.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The powder check still needs to be dialed in. I didn’t use it For this small batch And so the jury is still out on it.

I would just like to say Thank you and that I greatly appreciate all of you for the information and support getting started with this phase of the hobby. (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I thought I was going to have a problem because the load data I used was off their website, but the label on the powder jug said to use 5.5 gr.
Hodgdon's site lists 4.8 gr as the max for Titegroup under a 230 gr bullet, so you did the wise thing. Congrats on your first successful loads.

·
Super Moderator
14,733 Posts
Congratulations, Plantar5!! I'll bet we can all remember the initial apprehension and then elation at firing our first reloaded rounds. Your story, thru the threads you have started here, made me smile as it took me back years when I made a similar journey.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations, Plantar5!! I'll bet we can all remember the initial apprehension and then elation at firing our first reloaded rounds. Your story, thru the threads you have started here, made me smile as it took me back years when I made a similar journey.
Thank you sir. The apprehension was definitely there..until I pulled the trigger..;)
Again, the virtual “hand holding” from You and this sub forum is great and a big help in my decision making process for equipment and questions.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems appropriate to have some pics of my setup which I put in an unused room upstairs vs the basement. Basement is nice but I just didn’t see myself sitting down there vs useable space upstairs. So here’s my 750, “there are many like it, but this one is mine”...lol.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Congrats Plantar, it is addicting to say the least. A lot of people told me how much better and more accurate my shooting would be when I bought my xl650 which I wrongly thought was just rubbish. Besides the mental health time on my xl650 it is truly better ammo, your conservative choices are spot on.

the only real down side I’ve experienced is the current loading supplies shortages with primers particularly, I haven’t been able to buy small pistol primers for about 2 months now, really glad I didn’t convert to small primer 45acp, it gives me more choices.

one last thing I’ll is that I loaded up about 500rds of 45-70 for my trap door and was really surprised at how much more accurate my reloads are @ 100yds vs the commercially available cowboy action stuff. The commercial stuff would only provide hits on a “profile” target about 50 % of the time @100yds with about 1/2 of those key holing. My reloads actually give me a 6-8” grouping at 100yds now with no key holes, much better.

anyway enjoy that new 750 !

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Passx. The few I Loaded/ fired seemed to run very well. I know I developed preferences with factory ammunition, so better accuracy with reloading would be a plus also. Time will tell I guess...;)

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Oh, and don't forget the LED lights that mount to the underside of the frame like I have in mine. They help a lot in spotting missing primers and powder. I got mine off Amazon.

Reactions: Plantar5

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
its difficult to double charge in a 650 or 750, auto indexing, but the powder checker might be nice.
Had a 650 since 95, never a double..but it's also nice to know if its empty, which is achievable in an auto indexing progressive.

4.6 TG 230gr is about perfect for the 45, clean burning but leaves a grey stain on the muzzle that can be hard to clean if left for a couple days.
Short barrel 1911s:
I need to bump the length up to closer to the 1.275? max length for my 3in kimber to feed reliability.
230 gr round nose or ball ammo is the way to go. The xtreme plated 230 RNs are a great bullet for the 45 and usually in stock.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its difficult to double charge in a 650 or 750, auto indexing, but the powder checker might be nice.
Had a 650 since 95, never a double..but it's also nice to know if its empty, which is achievable in an auto indexing progressive.

4.6 TG 230gr is about perfect for the 45, clean burning but leaves a grey stain on the muzzle that can be hard to clean if left for a couple days.
Short barrel 1911s:
I need to bump the length up to closer to the 1.275? max length for my 3in kimber to feed reliability.
230 gr round nose or ball ammo is the way to go. The xtreme plated 230 RNs are a great bullet for the 45 and usually in stock.
I loaded some more tonight at the same 4.6 gr and a few 4.5gr. I’ve got the powder checker but its not dialed in yet, so the jury is still out so far, for me at least.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts