1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Nice job Plantar, and love that blued Wilson! I agree with what David said - in my younger days I did a lot of hefty load stuff for my .41 and .44 mags, but all it did was burn extra components unnecessarily; lesson learned and now load to a comfortable and accurate load like David does these days.
Thanks G50. We are blue gun guys!..That’s my TSG, actually my first Wilson. It’s also the 3rd pistol shot with my own reloads. ( just in case...lol). It feels very good and ran well. Agreed, I’m going to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
As I said the 4.6gr of TG works well. Should I up the charge to 4.7-4.8gr ? 4.8gr is listed as the upper range. Thx.
Assuming you are achieving the desired accuracy result, there is nothing much to gain [IMO] by chasing the upper end of the spectrum, except in a SD or hunting round where you need a specified FPS for expansion or terminal performance.

If 4.6gr of TG is a comfortable and accurate load, then crank out a few boxes worth and go enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Assuming you are achieving the desired accuracy result, there is nothing much to gain [IMO] by chasing the upper end of the spectrum, except in a SD or hunting round where you need a specified FPS for expansion or terminal performance.

If 4.6gr of TG is a comfortable and accurate load, then crank out a few boxes worth and go enjoy the fruits of your labor!!
Absolutely agreed. Even if I couldn't get "S/D" rounds as they are commonly referred to today, I have in the past and would feel completely confident these days, carrying with a good 200 gr. LSWC load for .45 ACP without any qualms at all, or even original-spec .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ at 830 fps. Smaller calibers, I want higher velocity and jacketed hollow points that expand reliably. JMHO.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Thanks flechero. They have met my expectations. I will stay with that setup and continue to load more vs experimenting. i know its common sense, but just thought I’d ask and get some reinforcement...(y)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Your 230 gr. RN loads are looking good @Plantar5. Time to expand your horizons with some 200 gr. SWCs. I find 185-200 gr. SWCs to be the consummate Range, Target, and self defense round. When punching paper, SWCs cut the perfect hole. You’d think they were cut with a hole punch. You’re off to a great journey! Enjoy the experimentation with different bullet weights, and profiles. Stay safe, Brother!

E2E54C15-2AE7-47A9-AA3D-4997967580E1.jpeg
2FB9D225-8501-4C6B-863A-C0C6007B8DAF.jpeg
B3E954DA-878F-4454-A28D-B28F93C6B7AC.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks VF-1. I’ll get there...I’ve read and been told 200 gr is a favorite round in 45acp. To the extent, they were a bit tougher to locate...lol. But I did want to start out with a round that I’m just more familiar with. Things are running very smoothly and I hope to get out today/tomorrow and chrono the rounds I loaded so far...What’s impressive ( at least to me) is how well the powder measure maintains the powder drop consistency, making it easy to load up another 150 rounds while my dinner was in the oven.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I posted this in the chrono thread by mistake. So after chronographing 50 rounds they averaged at 710 FPS. That’s loaded at 4.6 of TG with the upper range listed as 4.8 gr.
the listed velocity at 4.6gr is 744 fps. I fell like this load can be warmed up closer to the 4.8 gr. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Personally, I would stay just a bit under what the max listed load calls for and check it out with the chrono. This is what I plan to do when I get the time. Then I will most likely refer to my notes and start making what I liked the best out of all my loads

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
I normally stay 1/10 of a grain below maximum, but that is just me. I find a 230 gr bullet at 700-750 is a very comfortable range round to shoot. I can shoot 300-400 in a range session without any pain in my joints afterwards. If I push it much faster than I usually only shoot 200 a range session. My go to round for a 230 is at about 750.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I normally stay 1/10 of a grain below maximum, but that is just me. I find a 230 gr bullet at 700-750 is a very comfortable range round to shoot. I can shoot 300-400 in a range session without any pain in my joints afterwards. If I push it much faster than I usually only shoot 200 a range session. My go to round for a 230 is at about 750.
I agree with your 750fps.
I made a small test batch of 20 at 4.7gr and will chronograph those to see if it gets me there.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I got a chance to get away from the election yesterday and ran these 4.7gr TG rounds.
They all ran fine with a chronograph average up from 710 to 728 fps...ehh? they’re accurate with comfortable recoil. I still feel like I’m a bit shy in the velocity department; or am I chasing a ghost?

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
If they are accurate and comfortable to shoot, what more do you need?
Nothing really. I was expecting velocities to meet or exceed the listed. I;d have to load or exceed the max listed of 4.8 gr to get 800 fps? (Obviously not advisable).

Maybe I’ll try a different powder like CFE pistol??

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I was able to get to the range and ran 50 more of my rounds through my Wilson and compared them to some factory Fiocchi 45 acp 230 gr. My loads had a tad less felt recoil (to me) and seemed to be of similar accuracy. Everything ran flawless with no hiccups..(y) View attachment 597080

I really like your WC. Super .45 in every way.

Thanks G50. We are blue gun guys!..That’s my TSG, actually my first Wilson. It’s also the 3rd pistol shot with my own reloads. ( just in case...lol). It feels very good and ran well. Agreed, I’m going to leave well enough alone.

There is just something "right" about a blued .45 with checkered wood grips. (y)

I didn't realize how much I was missing such until a few months ago when my newest .45 arrived....broke it in in a few sessions with 500 rounds of 230gr factory ball (recovered all the brass, lol) and put some well checkered cocobolo grips on her. Actually will be my carry gun today.

That being said....she will NOT be my first gun at bat when I pitch the reloads over home plate. :ROFLMAO:

I have a few Springfield & RIA 1911's that will be my shooters during load workup in 9mm, 10mm & 45acp.

I'll be using the Dillon case gauge on each round as well as plunking them in the other DW, WC & LB guns they'll eventually used in.

Based on the data I got today, it seems safe to try a few. View attachment 597800
View attachment 597801

What a splendid place to shoot and enjoy your trigger time.

Best backstop I've ever seen....provided by God himself. You simply HAD to make a range of it. Noah was driven to build the Ark 🦒🦃🕊🦌🐊🐬🐘 ....you saw what was provided by the beautiful terrain and envisioned a perfect shooting range.

Imagine the sound of the music you'll be making when you set up some steel targets and start rhythmically ringing them. 🎹🎼🎸🥁🎳

Nothing really. I was expecting velocities to meet or exceed the listed. I;d have to load or exceed the max listed of 4.8 gr to get 800 fps? (Obviously not advisable).

Maybe I’ll try a different powder like CFE pistol??

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Looking forward to the updates to see what you are doing next.

My plans were to use:
  • TG with copper jacketed & plated .45......am also hoping it will work well without leading on 200gr coated lswc at <800 fps target loads
  • Sport Pistol with coated lead 9mm
  • Power Pistol & Blue Dot with jacketed 10mm
  • N105 with jacketed hp 38 Super
  • H110 with jacketed hp .44 mag, Unique with coated lead swc .44 mag

I've also picked up some other powders, almost at random, as things began to tighten up on availability: Clays, Clean Shot, HS-6 and small amounts of rifle powders.

My component inventory is out of balance.....I have twice the powder that I have primers for.....and need to add a pile of bullets....saved those for last as the market began to get snug with COVID era.
My timing sorta sucks outright...but it is what it is. I WILL get the stuff needed to enjoy my range sessions for 20 more years of shooting, Lord willing.

I've been squirreling away funds from overtime shifts and such over the last two years and buying reloading-related gear on a few orders every month....mostly mail order, but I did find a primer source locally and bought every single one I could get my mitts on. ...mostly large pistola primers.

My wife keeps changing her mind on us moving into other houses...smaller, one story, future proof with ability to navigate in wheelchair and large open master bathroom. She's anticipating things declining with her battle with cancer.
Her current battery of meds and much prayer has her doing SUPER on her recent scans. At 53 years old...she's not going to be the one needing all this handicap access at the house....my ornery arse will. :ROFLMAO:

She made up her mind this week that we are staying in our current home....and will do some light remodeling....adding a chairlift, bathroom shower remodeling, etc. She wants us to finish in two attic access rooms and turn into large closets......one of which will be ~20'x6' and become my reloading room. She gave me the greenlght to go ahead and set up a temporary bench in spare bedroom for now, though. I'm mighty happy. The temporary setup will give me an idea of what to do with the permanent setup that's coming.

Starting to speak to contractors now.

·
Super Moderator
14,727 Posts
One of the key aspects of handloading, for me, is being able to vary the combination of bullet, powder & charge weight to find a load that meets my goals. Whether your goal is accuracy, velocity, low recoil, etc., handloding + chronographing can get you there. Try different powders. After a while you’ll figure out which ones you like best. Using a chronograph gives valuable “real” data.
And, btw, when I started chronoing my “book” loads, they all ran slower than the book velocities.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I really like your WC. Super .45 in every way.

There is just something "right" about a blued .45 with checkered wood grips. (y)

I didn't realize how much I was missing such until a few months ago when my newest .45 arrived....broke it in in a few sessions with 500 rounds of 230gr factory ball (recovered all the brass, lol) and put some well checkered cocobolo grips on her. Actually will be my carry gun today.

That being said....she will NOT be my first gun at bat when I pitch the reloads over home plate. :ROFLMAO:

I have a few Springfield & RIA 1911's that will be my shooters during load workup in 9mm, 10mm & 45acp.

I'll be using the Dillon case gauge on each round as well as plunking them in the other DW, WC & LB guns they'll eventually used in.

What a splendid place to shoot and enjoy your trigger time.

Best backstop I've ever seen....provided by God himself. You simply HAD to make a range of it. Noah was driven to build the Ark 🦒🦃🕊🦌🐊🐬🐘 ....you saw what was provided by the beautiful terrain and envisioned a perfect shooting range.

Imagine the sound of the music you'll be making when you set up some steel targets and start rhythmically ringing them. 🎹🎼🎸🥁🎳

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Looking forward to the updates to see what you are doing next.

My plans were to use:
  • TG with copper jacketed & plated .45......am also hoping it will work well without leading on 200gr coated lswc at <800 fps target loads
  • Sport Pistol with coated lead 9mm
  • Power Pistol & Blue Dot with jacketed 10mm
  • N105 with jacketed hp 38 Super
  • H110 with jacketed hp .44 mag, Unique with coated lead swc .44 mag

I've also picked up some other powders, almost at random, as things began to tighten up on availability: Clays, Clean Shot, HS-6 and small amounts of rifle powders.

My component inventory is out of balance.....I have twice the powder that I have primers for.....and need to add a pile of bullets....saved those for last as the market began to get snug with COVID era.
My timing sorta sucks outright...but it is what it is. I WILL get the stuff needed to enjoy my range sessions for 20 more years of shooting, Lord willing.

I've been squirreling away funds from overtime shifts and such over the last two years and buying reloading-related gear on a few orders every month....mostly mail order, but I did find a primer source locally and bought every single one I could get my mitts on. ...mostly large pistola primers.

My wife keeps changing her mind on us moving into other houses...smaller, one story, future proof with ability to navigate in wheelchair and large open master bathroom. She's anticipating things declining with her battle with cancer.
Her current battery of meds and much prayer has her doing SUPER on her recent scans. At 53 years old...she's not going to be the one needing all this handicap access at the house....my ornery arse will. :ROFLMAO:

She made up her mind this week that we are staying in our current home....and will do some light remodeling....adding a chairlift, bathroom shower remodeling, etc. She wants us to finish in two attic access rooms and turn into large closets......one of which will be ~20'x6' and become my reloading room. She gave me the greenlght to go ahead and set up a temporary bench in spare bedroom for now, though. I'm mighty happy. The temporary setup will give me an idea of what to do with the permanent setup that's coming.

Starting to speak to contractors now.
Thank you Dub for the valuable feedback. My Wilson wasn’t my ’test’ gun, but honestly it could’ve been. So, if your loads are within spec. My advice is fire away!..;)
Therapeudics for malignancies have come a long way...my best for success.
Home remodeling is a PIA, imo...lol. But if you end up with a larger reloading room...that’s a bonus.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
One of the key aspects of handloading, for me, is being able to vary the combination of bullet, powder & charge weight to find a load that meets my goals. Whether your goal is accuracy, velocity, low recoil, etc., handloding + chronographing can get you there. Try different powders. After a while you’ll figure out which ones you like best. Using a chronograph gives valuable “real” data.
And, btw, when I started chronoing my “book” loads, they all ran slower than the book velocities.
It’s reassuring to hear In general your loads also ran slower. I’m just trying primarily to have things setup on the toolhead for changing calibers easier/faster. They have run flawlessly through 4 different 1911s at my current specs. FWIW it seems for my purposes using Titegroup and 230gr for 4.7gr seems to be the magic # for now. ( shooting strings I’m still getting a ’lagger’ slower round, sub 700 fps which I can’t explain).
I want to start with the setup process for 38 super as I am still waiting for my 9 mm die set.

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Plant - Rod and David are really spot on IMHO. In 50+ years of reloading I have experienced very few occasions where a listed load produced the same or more velocity in my gun than the load listed in the manual. There is a reason for this: the load data produced the listed results in THEIR TEST EQUIPMENT, most often a universal receiver, which does not have the exact same chamber dimensions, bore size, or locking/unlocking action type that our individual handguns do. And, some powders produce accurate loads even with greater standard of deviation than some other powders; this is part of the fun of load development - finding what works best in your gun. As Rod so adeptly pointed out, one of the biggest advantages of reloading is to be able to tailor your loads for the task at hand, and the task at hand will determine what component combinations you use. Tactical training loads, self-defense loads, Bullseye competition loads, hunting loads, and so forth have different requirements of performance, so load to your needs. The loading manuals are guides, and will list a range of data for each cartridge, but you choose which performance range you are loading for in your guns and proceed.

For my general range use/training classes, when I shoot .45's I'm going to be shooting loads that clock along at about 770 fps with a 230 gr. plated HP (give or take 20 fps), as that is what performs for that task and is comfortable to shoot. For self-defense loads, I'm going to load 230 gr. JHP's at around 830 to 850, which will require a different powder than I use for the general range use loads, and won't be comfortable to shoot all day long in extended round-count sessions since they are intended for limited round-count self defense use. Different purpose = different load.

The chrono tells you what they are doing, so use it for the tool it is. It cannot tell you what the purpose of your ammo is, only if it is within the desired parameters of the purpose you want your load to do. If you can't get that with one powder, switch to another powder and start the load work-up again. You don't really have to overthink it, just adjust to the results you are seeing within the loading manual guidelines. Easy really.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks Roger. It will become how many other powders I want to experiment with I suppose, and then developing preferences (like everything else in this world)...;)

41 - 60 of 105 Posts