1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Thanks Roger. It will become how many other powders I want to experiment with I suppose, and then developing preferences (like everything else in this world)...;)
Yep, and every time you buy a new type of bullet, you'll catch yourself looking for the perfect powder options. ...lol Sometimes you just read a lot of posts on certain powders and want to try them. Or you'll see a shortage coming- and buy anything you can that the manuals or forum members said is good for that set up, just in case! And pretty soon you'll have a cabinet or locker full of powders!

Powder jugs seem to multiply around here like my wife's shoe boxes! :D

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Yep, and every time you buy a new type of bullet, you'll catch yourself looking for the perfect powder options. ...lol Sometimes you just read a lot of posts on certain powders and want to try them. Or you'll see a shortage coming- and buy anything you can that the manuals or forum members said is good for that set up, just in case! And pretty soon you'll have a cabinet or locker full of powders!

Lol, I can see that for sure. The Titegroup has worked out ok, but I’m thinking of trying CFE pistol next If its available. I’m open to suggestions...:geek:

·
Super Moderator
14,341 Posts

🤣🤣🤣

Been there; for a long time.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
I’m pretty much the opposite. Started with Bullseye in the 70’s, switched to W-231 after that and I have been just loading Vihtavuori N-310 and N-320 for the last several years. But I’m not loading a multitude of calibers, just .45, 9mm and .38. I also do not load any of my carry rounds.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Have to confess this.... Case and point. I was eating lunch reading this thread and something David said got me searching for N-320 data. 5 Minutes later, I was mad that I couldn't find a 4lb jug in stock... had I found it, I probably would have ordered it just because it was on my mind. :whistle:

If I'm shopping on-line when my wife walks by my desk, she yells "SQUIRREL!!" :LOL:

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Have to confess this.... Case and point. I was eating lunch reading this thread and something David said got me searching for N-320 data. 5 Minutes later, I was mad that I couldn't find a 4lb jug in stock... had I found it, I probably would have ordered it just because it was on my mind. :whistle:

If I'm shopping on-line when my wife walks by my desk, she yells "SQUIRREL!!" :LOL:
Lol....I found one, (VV N320) actually a relatively new found ‘honey hole’...I wasn’t necessarily looking for a 4 lb jug, but I took it...:) . Load data range is 4.9gr-5.7gr. Midway is 5.3gr. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Nice pick up. I have found some N-310 but not any N-320, since early spring.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Lol....I found one, (VV N320) actually a relatively new found ‘honey hole’...I wasn’t necessarily looking for a 4 lb jug, but I took it...:) . Load data range is 4.9gr-5.7gr. Midway is 5.3gr. Any suggestions?
Sorry, can't offer anything with N320- I have never found it in stock when I've been ordering other stuff to cost down the hazmat... And the other day I would have just bought it without anything else but couldn't find it.

You must be living right! ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
My go to load:
5.0 grains N320
230 grain DG Bullets (coated lead)
1.230" OAL

Puts me right about 800 fps. 5.2 grains gets me into the 550's and 560's.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Lucky day for you. Let us know how it compares with the TG. Not all that many places around here that carries reloading components. I have to plan on taking a drive on a Saturday or leave work early in order to get to a place that carries it before they close. Now that I think about it, might not be such a bad idea.:cool:

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Starting off at 5.5gr? Almost at the top of the range you posted... I might download a second set and start shooting at midrange, just to be safe

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Starting off at 5.5gr? Almost at the top of the range you posted... I might download a second set and start shooting at midrange, just to be safe
I am expecting a warmer load but it’s still within spec range being .2gr up from 5.3 midrange.
I guess we’ll see hopefully later.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I got to the range and chronographed a 30 round string of this latest test group of the 5.5 gr vv N320 and shot more of my TG 4.6gr. Here’s the results.
N320, 5.5gr, averaged 822 fps.
TG, 4.6gr, averaged 751 fps.
The N320 loads can and will be reduced somewhere between 5.0-5.3gr. At 5.5 gr they were ‘warmer’ then necessary, but very accurate and clean.
The TG 4.6 gr are just about right and will stay as is.

·
Super Moderator
14,341 Posts
That is a productive range day from the sounds of it, enjoy the new supplemental hobby Plantar!

Reactions: Plantar5

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That is a productive range day from the sounds of it, enjoy the new supplemental hobby Plantar!
Besides being interesting and fun; It’s serving a triple purpose. The first 2 are obvious. Develope some preferences and loads in addition to being able to load my own while ammo has gone missing. But just as important, it’s letting me detox from the political mania...🙃

·
Registered
386 Posts
Can't think of too many other ways to detox and just enjoy life even if for only a little while. Clears the head and makes you realize you accomplished something you set out to do. Nice going Plantar.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
I think you will very much enjoy the N-320. That was my first Vihtavuori powder and I used it in both 9mm and .45. Ended up switching to N-310 for the .45’s as it takes less powder per round and costs the same as N-320. It even meters better, although 320 is pretty darn good. If I needed some rounds in the 800 or 800+ FPS area I would go back to N-320 for those.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I did enjoy my first use of it. Seemed a bit more consistent, maybe that’s the metering which it did meter better than TG. I meant to ask at the LGS if he had N-310. How would you describe the difference between the two?

61 - 80 of 110 Posts