1911Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
N-320 seems to be very similar to W-231 but much cleaner and meters better. N-310 is one of the fastest burning powders and meters even better that N-310 and of course is also very clean. I started trying the N-310 on some very light bullseye loads when my hands were bad and was getting a lot of unburned flakes with W-231 and N-320. My newer standard bullseye load is 4.0 gr with a 200 gr SWC. I’m now using it for my standard range load with a 230 gr X-Treme HP with 4.2 gr. That is 1/10 under max as listed by Vihtavuori. If I wanted to go faster, I would switch back to N-320.

If you have not downloaded the Vihtavuori reloading app for smart phones or iPad. It is a very nice app.

Some complain about the price of Vihtavuori but if I’m only using 4.2 gr per round it is pretty economical.

·
Registered
377 Posts
All I have in powder at the moment is HP-38. Which as you probably know is supposed to be the same as Win 231 and I have to load close to the max in order to NOT have a lot of flakes left over. Thanks for the report on the N-310 and 320. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the nearest (30 minutes away) LGS that would carry that. Or I'll just have to try some websites.

·
Registered
377 Posts
apipeguy I have a question for you. I am only loading 45acp right now but will be setting up for 9mm very soon. I'll be using X-treme 124gr rn. I noticed on the Vihtavuori website load data that they only list N-320 for this bullet. But they do list N-310 for some various bullet profiles, not RN, and from what I can see they suggest loads of approx. 1gr lower than N-320. Are you still using t N-310 for your 9mm loads and if so are you using approx 1grn less than what they are calling for in N-320?

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
apipeguy I have a question for you. I am only loading 45acp right now but will be setting up for 9mm very soon. I'll be using X-treme 124gr rn. I noticed on the Vihtavuori website load data that they only list N-320 for this bullet. But they do list N-310 for some various bullet profiles, not RN, and from what I can see they suggest loads of approx. 1gr lower than N-320. Are you still using t N-310 for your 9mm loads and if so are you using approx 1grn less than what they are calling for in N-320?
I’ve never loaded N-310 in 9mm, afraid it would be too quick burning. I do load 9mm with N-320 and my go to load is 4.1 gr with X-Treme’s 124 gr HP. Runs just over 1,000 in my Wilson CQB Commander.

Okay, I don’t recommend anyone to use Vihtavuori. Geesh, it’s hard enough to find in good times. o_O

·
Registered
377 Posts
I’ve never loaded N-310 in 9mm, afraid it would be too quick burning. I do load 9mm with N-320 and my go to load is 4.1 gr with X-Treme’s 124 gr HP. Runs just over 1,000 in my Wilson CQB Commander.

Okay, I don’t recommend anyone to use Vihtavuori. Geesh, it’s hard enough to find in good times. o_O
Well I don't think you have much to worry about. In my part of Michigan I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for the information(y)

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
What’s the best way to clear the primer housing of a flipped/jammed primer?
The inner primer tube is out and my guess is there may be 3-5 primers at the lower part of the housing. I’ve tried the plastic rod applying pressure with light taps but it won’t clear.
And I was almost done with a small batch to head to the range....😫
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can you just slowly go through the motions without casings, and when you get to the point where the primer is supposed to be pushed into a case just pick the flipped primer from the machine? As for stuck primers.... I will be interested in seeing the responses from others cause I don't have clue. Wish I could be of help sorry.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Can you just slowly go through the motions without casings, and when you get to the point where the primer is supposed to be pushed into a case just pick the flipped primer from the machine? As for stuck primers.... I will be interested in seeing the responses from others cause I don't have clue. Wish I could be of help sorry.
While loading, I noticed the primer wasn’t in the cup as it should’ve been. I caught it after only making one pepper shaker vs 6 like last time..;). When I pulled the inner primer tube, the primers still didn’t release. So, the fix is simply remove the primer housing as if you were changing the primer arm from LPP to SPP. Lift the housing, and the primers fall out clearing the housing and tube. I wasted some time trying to clear them with the plastic rod, which didn’t work. Once you know, it’s an easy quick fix.

·
Super Moderator
14,727 Posts
While loading, I noticed the primer wasn’t in the cup as it should’ve been. I caught it after only making one pepper shaker vs 6 like last time..;). When I pulled the inner primer tube, the primers still didn’t release. So, the fix is simply remove the primer housing as if you were changing the primer arm from LPP to SPP. Lift the housing, and the primers fall out clearing the housing and tube. I wasted some time trying to clear them with the plastic rod, which didn’t work. Once you know, it’s an easy quick fix.
As are most "problems" with Dillon presses. :)

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Brief update: Yesterday’s range trip (after sorting and fixing my primer issue), consisted of trying to fine tune what I’ve done so far with Titegroup and vv 320. My other setup specs did not need any changes, as they all ran fine. I think my sweet spot for the 2 pistols, 1 commander and 1 government are 4.7gr of TG and 5.2Gr of vv 320. They chronographed at 736 fps- 750 fps over 15 round strings. I’ve decided not to chase more velocity because they’re Very nice shooting recoil wise and extremely accurate at 10 yards. Now, I can move on to setting up a tool head for 38 super which I’m looking forward to. ( 9mm dies still MIA). Forgot, I have some 200gr bullets coming Monday, so I’ll give those a try also.

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I was went to AZ to visit a friend in the later part of Oct. we took a ride to Dillon. I asked the guy in the retail store about the 9mm die sets and he told me that there were over 2000 on back order. Might be up to a six month wait. However, he did sell me the wrong strong mount for my 550C. :mad: But he also did some key strokes on his computer and not 5 minutes later a young kid came up to the counter with a 9mm set of dies. Which I thought was kinda strange. So I would definitely give them a call.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple very nice loads for .45.

I just started loaded up some 9mm in misc. cases with an X-Treme 124 gr HP and 4.1 gr of N-320, my favorite 9mm range load. Normally I sort all my brass by headstamps but these misc. cases are for when I’m shooting someplace that I can’t pick up my brass

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
When I was went to AZ to visit a friend in the later part of Oct. we took a ride to Dillon. I asked the guy in the retail store about the 9mm die sets and he told me that there were over 2000 on back order. Might be up to a six month wait. However, he did sell me the wrong strong mount for my 550C. :mad: But he also did some key strokes on his computer and not 5 minutes later a young kid came up to the counter with a 9mm set of dies. Which I thought was kinda strange. So I would definitely give them a call.
I’ve had plenty to ‘play‘ with and have 9mm in my inventory if I need to shoot 9. But, to your point, I think I need to be the ‘squeaky wheel’ since my order is 90 days old. I’ll start getting my 38 super setup which uses the same caliber conversion as 9mm, which I do have.

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Sounds like you have a couple very nice loads for .45.

I just started loaded up some 9mm in misc. cases with an X-Treme 124 gr HP and 4.1 gr of N-320, my favorite 9mm range load. Normally I sort all my brass by headstamps but these misc. cases are for when I’m shooting someplace that I can’t pick up my brass
Yes, for 230 FMJ, its really pretty good, imho. I‘ll be interested to see how the 45acp in 200 gr FMJ/RN shake out. 9mm , for me, is just on a back burner right now. Since starting this reloading, it’s staying fun with very little frustration.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts