1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 300 rnds FMJ (only) through my Charles Daly EFS. I'm looking for the "right" defensive round. I hope it will feed properly - the rounder the better, I guess.

Also, please give typical pricing.

Thanks,

AndyB

·
Registered
104 Posts
Finding the right ammunition is a trial and error process. You need to buy a few boxes and try them out to find which one gives trouble free operation . Also has your pistol barrel been throated and the frame ramp polished? These two operation's increase the ability to feed different types of ammunition and the reliability also. Also you may try a small profile hollow point such as the 185 Remington as the profile is similair to a FMJ round. Stay low and shoot straight

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
There have been some great previous discussions on this subject and you can do a search on this forum and others. www.pistolsmith.com has some particularly good past discussions on the .45 and other calibers for self defense and what bullet might be best.

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by andyb:
I have about 300 rnds FMJ (only) through my Charles Daly EFS. I'm looking for the "right" defensive round. I hope it will feed properly - the rounder the better, I guess.

Thanks,

AndyB

if you got a good feeder you can shoot
about anything. a polish job helps.
now for the real question, i like speer
gold dot 185gr hp 1100fps. a good source
at a good price is georgia arms phone
1 800 642 6861. cost is 13.75/50rnd.
yes thats 50 not 20 or 25. rem golden
sabers in 185+p is 1200fps from my 5in
1911 not 1300fps as some say and it is
real pricey. a good price is 17.00/25rds
ouch. hydras are slow and reported good
on people out in the woods with something
furry with teeth i carry the gold dots
no stories on thier actual use on furry
friends.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is not meant to sound sarcastic, but...

I shoot 230gr Federal American Eagle at the range. It feeds w/any handgun I own (I own only 1911s) and it is accurate and fairly clean.

When I leave the range I load my sidearm w/Full magazine (7rd Wilson Combat) and one in chamber = totaling 7+1.

I know I have successfully practiced w/what I am carrying...

What is the fascination of changing rounds from practice to carry?

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree that you should practice with what you carry. I reload my rounds, and the only two difference between my carry ammo and my practice ammo is my carry ammo has nickel cases (so I can distinguish), and I personnally check all dimensions on it, and cycle each one for carry. That way the only unknown is a faulty primer. The primers so far have a failure rate of less than 1 per thousand.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by andyb:

Thanks,

AndyB

The most important factor in any defense round is reliable feeding in your gun.
Second is penetration and finally bullet performance as to expansion.
Throughout the world, more confrontations have been settled with FMJ, or "hardball" than with any other bullet type. It is hard to argue with success. In the civilian world, Federal Hydra-Shok has a proven track record with LE. In the gelatin wars, hydra-shoks sometimes doesn't expand; but I've never seen any tests that the round didn't penetrate to vital organ depths.

The Gold Dot hollow-points have a good reputation also. Personally, I wouldn't carry anything under 200gr.'s The Speer/CCI 200gr +P gold dots have shown good penetration and positive expansion in tests I've read. www.pistolsmith.com

You can check the websites for pricing as well as I can, so I will leave that research to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To all:

Thank you for your replies... truly appreciated.

And soujurn - I'll do that. BTW, I joined pistolsmith.com last night. A quick pass showed lot's of really good info to digest.

Again, thanks all.

AndyB

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
andyb - Don't pick you carry ammo solely based on reviews or what the gun store clerk tells you is the new "wonder bullet". Remember, with handgun bullets the only two things that contribute to effective wounding are penetration followed by projectile diameter. At any given penetration depth the bullet with the larger diameter will have the advantage. Also bear in mind that JHPs, although designed to expand, do not necessarily do so and expansion does have the potential to limit penetration. My personal choice is a bullet with the least amount of variables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts