1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I cannot live without a 1911 chambered in .460 Rowland. Clark makes a match grade drop-in kit with barrel, comp, spring, guide, bushing, etc. It looks pretty damn slick and appears that it is a snap for any full size 1911 (read Patrick Sweeney's experiences with dropping it into a bunch of different guns). My questions would be:

Has anyone done the conversion?
Happy with the results?
Recommendations for the base gun?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would like to try the commander sized kit on a beefy Dan Wesson patriot of modern manufacture. Very sturdy frame. You also might go with a 1991 colt or a Norinco for strength.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Straightgrain, . . . I did a quick search on it, . . . couldn't find anything on Sweeny's tests. Do you have anything he may have said about the Springfield stainless operator?

Also, . . . would you have a link to ballistic tables for this round?

Thanks for your help, . . . it is almost ironic that a friend of mine and I were discussing this at work last week.

EDITED: After I posted this, . . . I "Googled" .460 Rowland, . . . got all the info I could use, but thanks anyway. I won't own one of these this year, . . . but next year may find enough spare mad money for just such a cause.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
208 Posts
Careful guys; I believe that this cartridge is not manufactured as factory loaded ammunition & must be handloaded most of the time. As such, its not appropriate to talk about it on this site. Reloading and reloading data - especially for powerful calibers like the Roland is strictly forbiden by the owners of the site. Their site, their rules. Take the discussion someplace else, but don't endanger this site. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Just talking about guns chambered for a caliber that's not widely available in loaded ammunition is a bit different from posting reloading data. Besides, Georgia Arms (scroll down) offers loaded rounds in that caliber, so it's not strictly a reloader's proposition. Finally, if the forum administrators do have a problem with this discussion, they'll simply close this thread--not shut the entire forum down.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I hope some day to have a .460 Rowland longslide built around a 6" Schuemann Tribrid barrel. Actually, I hope to have a top end like that built for my Para-Ord P-14--giving me 15 rounds of thump between reloads :rock: . No real use for it, I suppose--the idea just makes me happy :) .

·
Registered
699 Posts
TY44934, I appreciate the concern for the site, but those are some pretty strong words. Do a google search and you will see that the 460 Rowland as stated above is loaded by Georgia arms, a well recognized distributor of both new and factory reloads. The 460 can be had through other sites as well. Mech Tech even makes a carbine for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa!

TY44934,
I, too, appreciate the concern. But I feel your warnings are misplaced. As previously stated, the .460 Rowland cartridge is available from Georgia Arms. Even so, it *is* a commercially available cartridge, albeit not very, and its use in 1911's has been getting a fair bit of press. If it's use in a 1911 is not appropriate for this board, I fully expect a moderator to let me know.

You might want to add a little more weight to your trigger pull! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I, myself plan on converting a Loaded Springfield. The .460 Rowland is pretty impressive in my opinion.

I was looking for a used Grizzly in .44 magnum. With the Clark conversion you have power in the same range in a lighter pistol and I won't have to worry about carrying a handgun that is no longer manufactured.

This article has some comparison data between the Rowland, .45 Super and .44 magnum albiet the two .44 loads aren't full house loads.

Anyway, here is a pretty informative article I found on the net

http://www.realguns.com/archives/106.htm

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Sorry kjhof :(

Clark's website faq on the .460 says "All Para Ordnance Drop-In Kits have been DISCONTINUED due to reliability problems."

I talked to someone at Clark (nice lady) and she says that it's possible that they will offer ramped barrels in the future but will only recommend them in the single stacks.

My guess is that the slightly longer .460 doesn't work too well in double column magazines.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
HiVelSword, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that before--lots of good info.

Yeah, Clark hasn't offered the Para kit for a while now. I've talked to a gunsmith who thinks he could set something up, using a Schuemann Tribrid barrel, instead of the Clark kit.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Ahhh, sorry. Read too fast and brain too slow! :biglaugh:

Could still be a magazine issue tho...:(

I hope it works out! I, myself will be content with a Springfield single-stack, 10 round Wilson magazines, Dokter red dot sight and Lasergrips. :rock:

Come on, tax refund!!!! :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Save Money

Go for the .45 Super. Almost as powerful, mucho cheaper! Cost of conversion? $8 for a new recoil spring.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I can't really see why the longer case length would cause any problems with double stacks that wouldn't crop up with single stack magazines--after all, the cartridge overall length is the same. Of course, it should be kept in mind that I'm the most mechanically incompetent mammal in the history of the planet, so I could easily be missing something.

Your planned gun sounds pretty impressive--I'll be watching for pics and a range report :rock: .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, But...

...I'm not interested in the .45 Super. I've really decided on the .460 Rowland and am looking for available information from folks who have done the conversion. Looking forward to responses.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Straightgrain, please check my first post in this thread for the realguns URL. The guy may or may not be a member here but there is a LOT of info in that article. I hope it's useful to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With Relish

Yeah, I've read that piece over and over again and it has done nothing but make me want to embark on the project even more!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I hear ya! But I'm not afraid to dive head first! I'm just poor!:bawling:

I'll have the gun and conversion by February. The Dokter sight and the Lasergrips are gonna have to wait til 4th quarter (gifts to myself for my b-day and x-mas) ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts