1911Forum banner

.460 Rowland

1865 21
I've decided that I cannot live without a 1911 chambered in .460 Rowland. Clark makes a match grade drop-in kit with barrel, comp, spring, guide, bushing, etc. It looks pretty damn slick and appears that it is a snap for any full size 1911 (read Patrick Sweeney's experiences with dropping it into a bunch of different guns). My questions would be:

Has anyone done the conversion?
Happy with the results?
Recommendations for the base gun?

Thanks in advance
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I, myself plan on converting a Loaded Springfield. The .460 Rowland is pretty impressive in my opinion.

I was looking for a used Grizzly in .44 magnum. With the Clark conversion you have power in the same range in a lighter pistol and I won't have to worry about carrying a handgun that is no longer manufactured.

This article has some comparison data between the Rowland, .45 Super and .44 magnum albiet the two .44 loads aren't full house loads.

Anyway, here is a pretty informative article I found on the net

http://www.realguns.com/archives/106.htm

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Sorry kjhof :(

Clark's website faq on the .460 says "All Para Ordnance Drop-In Kits have been DISCONTINUED due to reliability problems."

I talked to someone at Clark (nice lady) and she says that it's possible that they will offer ramped barrels in the future but will only recommend them in the single stacks.

My guess is that the slightly longer .460 doesn't work too well in double column magazines.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Ahhh, sorry. Read too fast and brain too slow! :biglaugh:

Could still be a magazine issue tho...:(

I hope it works out! I, myself will be content with a Springfield single-stack, 10 round Wilson magazines, Dokter red dot sight and Lasergrips. :rock:

Come on, tax refund!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Straightgrain, please check my first post in this thread for the realguns URL. The guy may or may not be a member here but there is a LOT of info in that article. I hope it's useful to you.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I hear ya! But I'm not afraid to dive head first! I'm just poor!:bawling:

I'll have the gun and conversion by February. The Dokter sight and the Lasergrips are gonna have to wait til 4th quarter (gifts to myself for my b-day and x-mas) ;)

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
You know, Kjhof? When I first heard about the .460 Rowland back in the late 90's I thought, "No way". A cartridge that powerful would destroy a 1911 in 1,000 rounds.

Well, two guys I admire a lot are Dick Metcalf and John Taffin. And if they tell me the gun is not brutal to fire and will not fall apart on me when I least expect it then I believe them.

I own a S&W Trailboss. It's Mag-Na-Ported and has Pachmyr grips but because of the 3" pipe, I need full house .44 magnum to give me the muzzle energy that the Rowland offers. And Mag Na Port or no, the Smith whacks my drumstick (thumb muscle) pretty solidly.

The .460 offers true and practical power without beating you up. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.