1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited some guns, among them a 5" Series 80 and a 5" Springfield Loaded. Each of these has a .400 Cor-bon barrel in it. I couldn't find the OEM barrels among my dad's possessions so I have written them off and assumed that I need to get replacements.

Anyone have a recommendation as to a drop-in or (very) minimally-fitted barrel that I could get for these that is of quality equivalent to or greater than the OEM barrels?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Brownells has 1911 barrels, Kart Precision, as well as Ed Brown, and others. Several are less than $200, but do you need a new bushing as well?

I do know the SA's Custom Shop has a reasonably priced Tech Inspection, $85. Depending how old your father's gun are, it might be a good investment as well.

SA charges $280 to install a match barrel and bushing. (according to their custom shop file off their site.)

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
For good quality and minimal fitting I would look at Storm Lake, followed by Ed Brown drop in fit. Notice I said "minimal fitting", depending on your own experience, tools, know how etc you may need some help with the fitting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would just shoot them in .400. It is an amazing round with excellent power. I would build another if Iowa allowed hunting with necked down cartridges.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Kart EZ fit barrel. Some folks also speak well of the Brown barrel. I have an Ed Brown gun and it is indeed a nicely manufactured barrel-- accurate (more likely due to a quality fitting) and easy to clean up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts