1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already purchased the SIS Custom 5"...but I find that it is very hard to chamber a round due in part to the slick finish and stiff spring. I have tried the 4" model and it does not seem as harsh to operate. I might be able to trade it with my dealer. Should I go for the 4" or just suck it up and keep my Custom 5". i really like this pistol.

·
Registered
816 Posts
...i really like this pistol.

Seems like you've got your answer. If you really like it, don't trade it.

In general, I think getting rid of guns once purchased and liked is a horrible idea that only leads to regret later.

Of course, you can still buy a second one of any variety you wish. :)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Can you describe what exactly is happening when you chamber a round? Are you cocking the hammer first, or trying to overcome the mainspring as well as the recoil spring while racking the slide?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not cocking the hammer first. A few times it just slipped out of my grip before it got all the way back. Maybe i just need more practice with the slick finish. I cannot imagine though trying to chamber a round in the summer time with sweaty hands.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
It sounds like those fancy cocking grooves in the shape of "SIS" are more show than go. :(

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Try cocking the hammmer first. As you pull the slide to the rear push the frame forward with your strong hand.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
From what most that have handled the SIS, that's the nature of the beast. I don't think a 4" would be significantly better, and I don't think choosing 4" to 5" should be made based on slide grip/slip.

Cocking the hammer first is something I've never considered. Let us know if that helps.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I cured the problem by getting both. The 4" was my first and I like it so much that when I saw the 5" in the case, it followed me home (GEE MA, CAN I KEEP IT :biglaugh:.

The 5" (Custom) is a little smoother than the 4" (Pro), for me. I put everything I had available, including some slightly warm reloads through the Custom - 100%.

I did find that the extractor was a bit "snug" in the Pro, but that was a very easy adjustment (showed up as needing a slight push to go into full battery).

I'm VERY happy with both. Three word answer to your question - get them both.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Tough trying to beat the heat in Fort Misery during the dog day summers isn't it. I would think after a little use and break-in, the slide should per sa loosen up just a tad no, how many rounds have you shot out of it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts