1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some 9mm groups shot at 50 yards with a Ransom Rest. The pistol is a Wilson Combat Classic. Mostly my handloads with some commercial ammo. This is Episode 6, the Season 1 Finale. Click here for the first five threads in this Ransom Rest series with this firearm.

Zero | 125 grain .355 diameter straight taper hollow points | 5.0 grains True Blue | 5 shots | Group Size: 1.1"

Hornady | 125 grain HAP JHP | 5.2 grains Power Pistol | 5 shots | Group Size: 1.5"

IMI commercial | 115 grain FMJ | 5 shots | Group Size: 1.6" with 4 shots into 0.6"

IMI commercial | 115 grain FMJ | 10 shots | Group Size: 2.25"
The paster is where some bozo put a .45 hole in my target. Happened a couple of times.

Hornady | 125 grain HAP JHP | 4.8 grains True Blue | 5 shots | Group Size: 1.8"

Hornady | 125 grain HAP JHP | 4.8 grains True Blue | 10 shots | Group Size: 2.2"

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
1.1" at 50 yards! That is amazing! And the .6" with four shots is insane!

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Very nice results, gives a good indication of what is possible with reloading for one's own particular gun. Thanks for taking such an effort to do these tests and to share the results with the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Wow! Awesome work that you have put together here and in the other threads. A real testament to the capability of these pistols.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys :rock:

I'm unsure if a Supergade will outperform these results...
Well, I imagine we'll find out soon enough...

I am beginning the load development process for a Classic Supergrade .45, and will conduct 25 and 50 yard testing with the Ransom Rest. At least three different powders with 185 grain Zero, Nosler, Speer Gold Dot, Montana Gold, Hornady tapered cone and Sierra Tournament Master; 200 grain Hornady HAP; 230 grain Zero FMJs.

·
Premium Member
13,776 Posts
Thanks, guys :rock:

Well, I imagine we'll find out soon enough...

I am beginning the load development process for a Classic Supergrade .45, and will conduct 25 and 50 yard testing with the Ransom Rest. At least three different powders with 185 grain Zero, Nosler, Speer Gold Dot, Montana Gold, Hornady tapered cone and Sierra Tournament Master; 200 grain Hornady HAP; 230 grain Zero FMJs.
Yippee, looking forward to the .45 results...Thanks for providing all these results to the WCF...It really will be interesting to see how the different 45 loads perform, but I would imagine most folks shoot 230.
C.A.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yippee, looking forward to the .45 results...Thanks for providing all these results to the WCF...It really will be interesting to see how the different 45 loads perform, but I would imagine most folks shoot 230.
C.A.
Yeah, should be a fun project. I am starting with some chronograph testing of a few powder / bullet combos to dial in the velocities per powder charge weight out of the Supergrade.

I do have two other types 230s heads right now, but they are "Serbian" FMJs (some funky brand I bought back when all reloading components were very scarce) and two or three hundred black coated lead heads (moly's?) I bought a long time ago. I wasn't planning on including them in the accuracy testing since I won't be buying any more of them - I'll just load 'em up to 850 fps for throwing at steel.

We'll see...

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
What a great season's finale. Can't wait for season 2 featuring a Supergrade and .45 ACP!
1.1"@50yard with a pistol, wow... lunatic.

A dumbo put a .45 hole in your target!?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a great season's finale. Can't wait for season 2 featuring a Supergrade and .45 ACP!
1.1"@50yard with a pistol, wow... lunatic.

Thanks, Birdy.

Yeah, this one dude was shooting at his targets from an angle, with a bullet trajectory that intersected with my target array. :eek: When I pointed out what he was doing, he was quite apologetic and moved to the next station over so that he could shoot directly down range. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That's extremely impressive accuracy as well as an eye opener to those who believe that .45 ACP pistols are inherently more accurate than those in 9mm.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks, Birdy.

Yeah, this one dude was shooting at his targets from an angle, with a bullet trajectory that intersected with my target array. :eek: When I pointed out what he was doing, he was quite apologetic and moved to the next station over so that he could shoot directly down range. :scratch:
I've had that happen to me and he was shooting direct. I moved immediately.
Awesome performance by that 9mil!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks again, guys. :rock:

That's ... an eye opener to those who believe that .45 ACP pistols are inherently more accurate than those in 9mm.
I would tend to agree.

I have used myself, often enough, the term "inherent accuracy". My recent observations, however, have revealed to me that this phrase is often used in a very general sense and it is actually a very relative term that is best used within a specific context.

I could say, for example, that my Wilson Classic 9mm is "inherently accurate" because it shoots most ammo more accurately than my three other 9mm handguns. However, extensive testing with this pistol has resulted in several 4" and 5" groups at 25 yards from the Ransom with a variety of ammo. Should I qualify the statement by saying that the gun is "inherently accurate" with certain ammo it likes? Can't do that; I would have to remove the adjective "inherently" to make that statement factual. Is my first statement closer to the truth?

I have also heard it said that the .44 Special is an "inherently accurate" cartridge. Elmer Keith thought so and I have a great respect for his opinion. I have heard the same for .357 Magnum, 45 ACP and others. In truth, I have handguns in all three calibers which do not demonstrate profound accuracy with any ammo that I have tried when compared to other guns in the same caliber.

My testing has demonstrated that if you remove the operator (and ambient conditions) from the equation, the precision with which a firearm shoots groups is a function of the following:

1. The quality of construction of the firearm. Chamber and barrel dimensions, cylinder/bore alignment in revolvers, bushing/slide/frame fitment in pistols, etc., were the primary characteristics of "inherent accuracy" in my experiments.

2. The affinity of the gun for a particular ammunition. Given a gun with high quality construction as described above, and taking rate of twist into account, the group size will vary remarkably when tested with a wide variety of ammo. Bullet shape, diameter and velocity, powder performance and cartridge case consistency will be the contributing factors toward a hit versus a miss where the money, or more important things, are on the line.
My Wilson Classic is unquestionably a highly precise weapon. Given the right ammunition, its performance is compelling. In conclusion, I suspect that your Wilson is likely very capable of shooting to a level of precision that you have not yet experienced only because it has not yet fired the ammo which maximizes the potential of which is is capable.

·
Registered
568 Posts
1.1"@50yard with a pistol, wow... lunatic. <-- No kidding... WOW!!!

AWESOME shooting! Never take for granted that a rest somehow guarantees accuracy. You have to be very steady and very good. You sir, ARE.

THANKS for these posts!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts