1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
6.45 slide locks back

Last Tuesday I bought a used Para Carry 6.45. The original owner couldn’t handle the recoil so it had fewer then 200 rounds through it. During the first range session I had lots of FTFs. After a very thorough cleaning, lub and feed ramp polish that problem has been corrected. Today I sent 150 rounds down range. About once every 8 to 10 rounds the slide locks back with ammo still in the magazine. It happened on the second round, third round, sixth round, whenever it pleased, with no pattern. Most of the time the slide stop lever was just barely caught in the slide notch.
Now, most of my experience has been with Glocks and they have a small spring that holds the lock lever down to prevent that sort of thing until the mag is empty. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem in ht 6.45?
Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Slide Stop

You don't say what type of amunition you were using, but sometimes using a 230 gr roundnose bullet, the bullet can rub on the slide stop causing it to move up a bit and lock open. You can remove a very small amount of metal from the slide stop, or drill a detent in the back of the stop where the safety plunger can ride in it and hold it down. Of course the downside is that it may prevent the slide from locking back at all if you do drill it too deep.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Possible Easy Fixes:

Note SPECIFICALLY which mags you are using when this happens. Be absolutely sure that all mags fail equally and randomly (particularly the Para factory mags).

- In the unlikely case that only a few mags are malfunctioning, then your prob is addressed. Whenever I have such a problem I am sure to use at least 3 different brands with 2 different types of followers to be sure.

- If the mags all malfunction alike then I would start with a slide stop replacement. for $20 the weapon may be fixed without the hassle of sending the weapon in.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Since the pistol is a compact with its short grip, make sure neither hand comes in contact with the slide stop during recoil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tac Four: You may have it. I checked and it appears my left thumb is aginst the slide lock. That grip works OK with the Glocks, but not here. I will test the theory the next time at the range. Thanks:) !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To test the theory I tried a grip with thumb up and down. Sure enough, if I keep my thumb down, no problem. Using my "Glock grip" results in the lock-back problem.
Problem solved:D !

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Live and learn. If I ever question my grip, I shoot only using the strong hand to see if the problem still exists.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts