1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I was wondering if it was possible to use longslide barrels in a normal slide for a little extra velocity. While this wouldn’t look particularly pleasing, would it be safe? Would it interfere with the pistol’s cycling in any way? Thanks.
Wes

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
Works fine.
Be advised that many 1911 barrels are slightly larger at the muzzle for a close bushing fit, then step down slightly for free movement in recoil. So a true longslide barrel might be loose in a standard 5" slide's bushing. Can be taken care of in gunsmith fitting, or...
I think Kart will make a 6" barrel with bushing contact and relief correct for a 5" slide.
Velocity gain might not be more than 30 or 40 fps, depending on powder. Is that worth a couple of hundred bucks?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That was a popular thing back in the early days of practical pistol competition. It will add a little velocity with no disadvantages. Most all, and the Wilson for sure, 6 inch barrels have long enough bushing fitting areas to work with a 5 inch slide.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
I have a 6" KKM .45 barrel, and it chronos at the same mv as my 5" Kart-barreled guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts