1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think places like Midway sell the SA 6" barrels, but SA does not and will not sell the 6" slides. There is too much gunsmithing involved in making the conversion.

About the only solution is to send it to gunsmith like Jim Clark Jr. (there are a few others who also do the conversions with Caspian slides) who will convert it to a 6". But this is usually done for Bullseye competition shooting and is quite expensive.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/bullcon.htm#heavy

Mark

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The frame should be able to handle the 45super..

You can order a 6" slide from Caspian and order your barrel through one of the many barrel makers...

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
After I got my SA Longslide, I sent the slide to Storm Lake Machine Co. in Tenn(?) and had them measure and fit to the slide a 6 1/2" comped barrel. Approx $250 for the barrel, link, pin, comp fitted to the slide. Feet were cut oversize for a gunsmith fit. Sent it back to SA to be fitted, so I wouldn't void the warranty. Custom shop did a fantastic job fitting the barrel. My only complaints were with Deb in the office. She almost doubled the quoted price then told me I didn't have to pay the new price, but " We have your gun" if I didn't.
Super job on the gun.My set-up is: stock main spring, EGW flat bottom firing pin stop, change firing pin spring fairly often, 20-24# recoil spring (depending on how hot my super's are). Tracy

·
Registered
300 Posts
have you called SA I dont see why not I was going to take my 6inch longslide trophy match and have them put a 5inch slide and barrell on it for IDPA, it is the same frame, but not sure about mil spec frame, call them

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
STI also sells a 6 inch slide.

My local 'smith recently built me a custom STI 6" 9mm which cycles in slow motion and shoots great.

Will post a pic when I get the upload device for my computer.

I am really bothered by the statement that the gal in the SA office said that "we have your gun" in response to going substantially over-budget.

That's not the first time in recent memory that I have heard that about the SA Custom Shop on this board, but I can guarantee her that she will never have any of my guns.

I happily spend a lot of money with gunsmiths and cannot remember the last time I didn't have at least one 1911 in the shop, but I don't want any part of that nonsense.

I have 4 SA 1911s, as well as a M1A.

I am sure that I will buy more SA 1911s, but I don't plan on sending any of my guns to the SA Custom Shop if that's the way they operate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts