1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this model or the 5" Distinguished model? I like the idea of the tri-set sights. How much of an accuracy advantage would the 6" have over the 5"? Please help me decide on one of these two guns to shoot the PPC 1500.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Can't comment on Baer's version as I have never handled one of his. The 6" gives you a very slight edge due to the longer sight radius. The tri-set sights are awsome, I have used the aristocrat sight rib and found it to be excellent and easy to adjust. Remember that the scoring on these matches is very tight, and if you hope to win you need every edge, like a six-inch bbl. Good luck and may your X-ring disappear.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi fishbone,

I do not have the Baer but, built one myself. Matches everything the baer has and a few more tricks. The sights are incredible and would highly recommend them. The 6" gun has the longest sight radius allowed by PPC. It does more than you would think. I built a 6" bull barrel gun just for PPC and accuracy games do to the fact I prefer the long sight radius. All the extra weight from the sights, barrel, etc help. The only reason I didn't get the baer was the long wait. I built is much quicker but, not a whole lot cheaper. However, I did use much lighter trigger, hammer, and sear. Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patrick and Paul, I appreciate your replys and thoughts. I guess my dilema is that I could use the Baer Distinguished model (5") for the 1500 and some other type matches, whereas the 6" gun would pretty much be a single purpose gun. If it's that much more accurate because of the longer sight radius though, it would be worth going with the 6". I am really looking forward to a gun with the tri-set sight. I am convinced that the neck hold is the only way to go from the 50 yard line.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The neck hold seems to be what the top guys in my neck of the woods use. I shoot pretty much all indoor PPC in the winters here in Michigan, which is a modified course, but all other rules apply. In the summer I like IDPA, etc. In any event, the thing that I see as a constant is that those shooters scoring in the high 590's out of 600 have the 6" bull barrel guns with light loads and the tri-set aristocrat sights. I have gone as high as 580 with my stock Kimber. It may be time to invest in some equipment more suitable for the game, but I have a hard time parting with that kind of cash for a game gun that will serve no other purpose. I originally told myself when I scored 580, I had developed my skill level to a proficient level, then and only then would I invest in a specialized gun. But still, that's a lot of cash.

In any event, to win in this area requires a 600 with at least 50 X. There are usually more than one 600, so the game is determined on X-count. I am low enough down the list that I am usually in the runnig for a prize courtesy of the Lewis scoring system.

In any event, it is a lot of fun, enjoy and shoot straight. Let us know what you go with and how it works out. I may need you to give me a range report before I buy my own. By the way, I know that Jarvis makes a very highly regarded gun, as does Clark. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
418 Posts
One other consideration is STI makes a gun very similar called the target master. Tri-set sights and all. Very nice gun. I almost had one of these also!

Patrick, where do you shoot? I live in Charlevoix MI and travel to the U.P. to shoot PPC. For work I go to Milford once and a while and would love to try other places. I'm not real good yet, but not bad. Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul, I went to the STI site and looked at the Target Master. Wow. That's a beauty. I also like the custom PPC from SA. I was sold on the LB but now I'm not so sure. Clark is still an option too as they are only a one hour drive away. Am I correct in assuming that all three are top quality? If so, I may just go with best price and delivery date.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Fishbone,

They are all top quality outfits and would not feel bad about anyone of them. Prices are very competitive and and so is the delivery times. Last I checked STI actually had some in stock! You can check it right on there website. Clark is very good also.
What caliber are you looking? I picked 38 super and not disappointed but, would consider a 9mm now. At the time no one had good mags for the 9mm but, now springfield has some.

Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I thought .45 was the best way to go, but now I'm not so sure about that either. What do you consider the advantages/disadvantages to the available calibers? Remember, I need every accuracy advantage that I can get.

One more thing. I really like the adjustment knob on the aristoctat rib (no screwdriver needed) shown on the SA. Does the three way sight without the rib shown on the LB and STI require a screwdriver, or can it also be adjusted by hand? I really appreciate all the great info.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Fishbone,

The 45 does give one benifit in that it is a larger diameter. Everyone talked me into the 38/9 category do to less bullet weight and lighter recoil. A longslide anything doesn't kick! I liked the 38 do to many reasons, but 45 acp is awesome.

The LB, STI all use Aristocrat 3 position sights. Same sight I used on my gun. They are the best on the market. I don't know what SA uses. Maybe there own. With the Aristocrat I think you may be able to turn the screw by hand if you lift up on the sight. Never tried it! I'll try it this weekend and send an email. You would not regret this using this sight.
Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul, SA uses a complete rib just like the revolvers. Look at the PPC gun on their custom page. The rib sight can be had with a knob. Anyway, if the one you have works well, then I'm sure I would like it too. Do you have to carry a screwdriver at all times?

What is your opinion on spending the extra $295.00 for the 1 and 1/2" guarantee on the LB? Worth it? What would the gun do otherwise, and what do they do diferrently? Boy, I can sure ask a lot of questions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I checked my gun. A screw driver is needed.

I carry a screw driver, toolkit, extra gun parts, slides, etc at all times when I go to a match. For me it is not a big deal. The ribs made for revolvers are very good however, the problem I have with mine is that the I bump it once in a while and shoot a stage with it on the wrong setting! Really ticked me off at the last PPC match. I have the gun up for sale as we speak.

The 1.5" guarantee is what I was going for. If you can not shoot good enough to see the difference it will not matter. I think it is a gimmick myself. Baer says 3" is standard for all guns. STI says there gun will shoot 1.5" as is. My gun will easily also. For PPC 3" would be fine.

Questions are good. That's how people learn!

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts