1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into(head first,lol) a 60's production LW Colt Commander/.45acp/95%+ condition. It has a four digit serial number. All original, with a few minor surface scratches. It is selling for $700.00. I want it , badly. What do you all think of the price? Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
That is about what you will see the older LW's going for. I still think its a little on the high side but the older they get the higher the price seems to get. With the condition you say its in that really seems about right. I found an early 50's LW and it was in excellent codition priced at $950 but the shop that had it is noted for over pricing everything.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
If you really want it that badly, go for it. You can always make the wife and kids eat over at their friends' places for a few weeks.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
80 Posts
My LWT serial number shows it to have been made in '79 or so. Paid 525.00 for it and have seen several in the same range. Same dealer had a NIB series 80 LWT and was asking 695.00.

The local dealer had two last week for 550.00. One of them was a tad older than mine.

Just a few data points for you..

Tony G.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone. My current carry pistol is a pre-70's steel Combat Commander w/minimum alterations. Semper Fi, Ray

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by ferretray:
I ran into(head first,lol) a 60's production LW Colt Commander/.45acp/95%+ condition. It has a four digit serial number. All original, with a few minor surface scratches. It is selling for $700.00. I want it , badly. What do you all think of the price? Thanks, Ray
I bought one today.
98%-99%/.45ACP/unaltered/Lwt. Commander for $600.00. He might have come down $50.00 but what the heck, he deserves something for finding it and I do not like to dicker.

It's got a decent trigger but not what I'm used to so I'll put a new trigger in and get a trigger job for a crisp 4lb pull. It also has a spur hammer so I'll probably get my Smith to replace it with a commander hammer and change out the collet bushing for a solid one that is less prone to breaking while he's at it. The ramp is still factory black so it might need a little polishing and possibly the barrel throated to make it reliable with Hydroshoks and Golden Sabres. He'll also replace any bad or weak springs.

After that I'll shoot it to see how acurate it is!!! Modified I figure I'll have $850.00 in it if I can use it without a barrel change out. All of the modifications can be reversed if I choose and I'll keep the old parts should I decide to do so.

I sure wish Colt had flared the ejection port back then.

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
PigPen..........I've never seen commander "stock" with a spur hammer. Apparently they made 'em though. I put a spur hammer on my commander cause I can reach it better. You have a nice aquisition at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by ferretray:
Yep,that's what They're going for if You can find one.I just spent lots more than that for a Kimber Pro Carry,the closest thing You can get to a Commander.I'm happy but really would rather have the real thing! tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pigpen,

Never saw any Commander with a collet bushing!?? Have four of varying ages up to Series 70 and they all have shorter than Govt. Model solid bushings

OPINIONS????

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I bought the Commander and detail stripped/inspected & cleaned it. I believe this pistol has less than 100 rnd.'s through it. It is very tight and the finish is in great condition. I called Colt today and they told me it was manuf. in 1950. 50/51 y.o. and in great shape. I'm going to put a Wolff spring kit/sights and grips on it and am looking forward to seeing if it shoots as good as it looks. Semper Fi, Ray Rinehart

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Originally posted by PigPen:
The ramp is still factory black so it might need a little polishing and possibly the barrel throated to make it reliable with Hydroshoks and Golden Sabres.
DO NOT polish the feed ramp on an alloy gun! The reason why the ramp is black is because it was hard anodized after machining. If you remove the anodizing it will wear in a hurry.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by popeye:
PigPen..........I've never seen commander "stock" with a spur hammer. Apparently they made 'em though. I put a spur hammer on my commander cause I can reach it better. You have a nice aquisition at a reasonable price.
Popeye,

The guy who sold this pistol to me said that he bought it from the second owner but that "he was long time friends with both the second owner and the first owner" who bought it from a dealer "New". This is likely since they live in a very small town together.They discussed the fact that the spur hammer was not shown in the pictures and both owners said that's the way it was sold to them new. ????

originally posted by mark 4 45:Never saw any Commander with a collet bushing!?? Have four of varying ages up to Series 70 and they all have shorter than Govt. Model solid bushings

I am probably wrong on that issue. I do not remember seeing a collet bushing. I assumed that all Series 70 had the collett bushing. I will be pleasantly surprised.

originally posted by DSK:

DO NOT polish the feed ramp on an alloy gun! The reason why the ramp is black is because it was hard anodized after machining. If you remove the anodizing it will wear in a hurry.
I expect your right about that. I don't have any FTF issues with the LWT that I have now. I don't expect anything beyond cleaning and smoothing but in the end it has to be reliable with Federal Hydroshoks and Golden Sabres. Why else would you own a LWT?

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have never seen a Commander of any description with a spurr hammer or a collet bushing. The collet bushings were for the full sized 5" guns.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

1 - 14 of 14 Posts