1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colt commander that a friend is learning to shoot. We are trying to get a light target load to work up. I got one that shoots great at an avg. of 620 fps but even with a 12 pound recoil spring it throws brass everywhere from hitting me in the face to straight out to the right side.

I am wondering if it is an extractor/ejector problem or if it is just too slow to properly eject the cases even with a 12lb spring?

Also, how bad would it be to fire a couple of rounds of factory ammo with a 12lb spring?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I shoot a Combat Commander and use a "standard" Wilson's recoil spring, don't know what pound weight. I use the full power spring so I won't have to worry about factory rounds causing problems. Besides, sometimes fresh brass is needed... A couple probably wouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't want to shoot a bunch with the low power recoil spring. This would be more of an issue with an aluminum frame rather than a steel frame "Commander" (both are out there depending on when yours was made).

I found my gun to be more sensitive to light powder charges (low bullet speed) to this exact kind of problem. My theory on my erratic brass problems was that with small powder charges, variations were proportionally larger than the same variation on a full size charge (make any sense?). The shape of the individual powder granules also makes a difference. Some powders settle more uniformly with less air space. Once you set your initial weight, you are basically throwing powder charges by volume from that point on. More air gaps=more variation in bullet (and slide) speed and more differences in how hard the brass was hitting the ejector. ***

Once I dialed in my pet load, my brass ejection issues dramatically improved.

All other things being equal, I'd try a full power spring with factory loads. If the problem persists regardless of the load, then look at the extactor (how the casing is held) and ejector. Perhaps one (or both) are worn or out of adjustment.

***I posted most of the above on your original Springfield forum (oops) post and am trying to not get too specific on "reloading" as that forum was closed for a reason. In case my post was intentionally deleted by the moderator's (as the entire thread seems to have disappeared), I've tried to make it even more generic than the original.

·
Registered
117 Posts
spetrola - I had a similar ejection problem with a full sized model and this forum helped me out a lot. Not sure it's applicable to your issue, mainly because I had erratic ejection plus an all-too-often failure to eject, but here was my problem.

My extractor was "clocking" in it's groove. The firing pin stop and extractor weren't very well fitted and the extractor was allowed to turn inside it's groove each time the weapon was fired. The result... extremely erratic brass throwing (from into my forehead sometimes... to 15 feet away at others.... and the occassional [i.e. 1 -4 rds per 200] not ejecting, getting caught up between breech and slide).

A new firing pin stop and extractor solved my problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts