1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets hear how your 625's run. are they as accurate as you like? do you shoot them as much as you should? what holster do you use at the range or in the woods? any specific drills you practice with it because its NOT a 1911? do you prefer full moons or half moons, metal or rubber?

mine needs way more trigger time, now that its cooled off, it will get it.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I just bought one after wrestling with old scool thoughts and an emotional bond with old N frame Smith's. I had two beautimus S&W 25-5 45 Colt's but they didn't shoot factory .452 ammo as they both had .454 barrels. I had another 25-7 but sold it because in light of ammo prices and reloading costs, I didn't want another caliber. So I bought a 625 ACP and I ordered a good set of Craig Spegal grips for it and all has been well on the wheelgun side. Mine is a Stainless 4" Round butt Mountain Gun with internal pin and no lock. I had a whole can full of moon clips and 1/2 moon clips. Just need to get a good holster for it. Already have an Eagle USOH for outdoor use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am down to one 625, one 22-4 and two 25-2's.

I shoot USPSA revolver for the first part of the season and change to bottomfeeders for the last part. I shoot them in matches every weekend from ~Feb-Aug.

All are more accurate than me. I'm a middle of the road B class shooter with 50 year old eyes. I also shoot in the pasture regularly. The furthest level shot I can take at my steel plate (~12"x18") is 65 yards. Hitting it with the .45 wheelguns standing, DA, is pretty easy. Side note: I had my 3 1/2" model 27 out this weekend and had shot a bunch at 25 yds. Heading back to the house, I would stop and fire 6 at the plate. It was good to 65 yds. on the plate. The last six I shot were from 100 yds, standing, DA, with an elevation change (headed up the hill-my feet were higher than the plate). I was only one of six at that distance-must be the gun.

Holsters-for USPSA I use a kydex. For concealed carry IWB, I use CABO (carry a big one), for OWB, I use a Tucker.

Grips-I use Miculeks on my competition wheelguns.

Moonclips-I use ranch full moonclips. They work well. There are more expensive ones out there. Ranch works. I've not used half moons although I think I have a bunch of them.

Dave

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I really like my 625 and my 610. Auto round wheel guns are just neat. I have had my 625-8 4 inch for some time now. Not a hiccup. Mine is more accurate than any of my 1911. For some reason mine really like lead 230 ball hand loads in the mid power level.

With all the weight of the big N frame, recoil is not much to speak of. Esp with target loads.

I have used the rimz plastic moon clips, full moon and half moons. For carry I like the half moons, they lie flat in my pocket. The full moons are the way to go for gun games like IDPA. And for any kind of serious work, steel is a must. Now for range time, I love the plastic rimz. Easy to load and unload and they do not affect your shooting in any way.

I have carried my 625 as a woods gun. I don’t have pants big enough to IWB. OWB, I use a Biannci for a 4 inch 629. Works just fine.

Also the 625 will hand +P and 45 super with no changes. If you reload you can work up some stout loads, esp using good 45 auto-rim brass. And you can go heavier than you can with a 1911, OAL to fit in a mag is not necessary with a wheel gun.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
625-6 w/lock 5" Bbl. Len.
wtih Guy Hogue Full size finger grooove &
checkered Rosewood monogrip.
S&W Perf. Center Master Revolver Action Job.

I have Wilson Combat Full Moon clips w/nickle
plateing as well as the WC tool for extracting
empties. .45 Auto RIm I use the HKS 25M
Speedloaders FM CLips and Speedloaders make
it easy to toss empties into a 1 gal. ziploc bag
at the range.

Load: I have a bunch of ACP & AR loaded with
Leadhead 200 gr. SWC both @ 1,025 FPS
The recoil is just a bit less muzzle fllip etc as a
686P I have with full house 140 gr. .357 Mag.
loads as it is approx. 6 oz. lighter with it's 4"
Bbl. Len. It's more accurate than I can shoot.

At 45 oz. empty I'm considering the Alessi
Fiield Master Shoulder rig, since I may also carry
a long gun.

The 625 is my 2nd fav. personal handgun - I shoot
my 1911 better

I have some Leadhead 225 gr. TC-BB, Hornady
200 gr. TC-FMJ & .200 gr. Hornady XTP JHP to load
up this winter as well as some loaded ACP shot shells
to try out pattern wise.

The

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a 625-3 (I think, it may be a -2, I'll have to look in the safe) with a 5" barrel and Miculek grips. I probably shot 9-10k through it in the last year and shot my last match with it at the USPSA LPR nationals in September. I was ready to go back to my bottom-feeder.

My gun never failed if I did what I needed to do in keeping screws tight with locktite and occasionally oiling it. It is a workhorse of a gun. I don't know the brand of moonclips as they came with the gun but they are full moons. I wish I did, I've never had one to bend or fail in two years.

That being said. If you want to shoot better, with more accuracy and economy of round usage, shoot a revolver competitively for a few months. It forces you to know where to reload and to plan ahead for the occasional miss. It also forces you to put the sights on target and call every shot because there are only 6 rounds in the gun before you reload.

I'll pick it up again sometime in the future, but I'm sure having fun shooting my STI right now.

FWIW

dj

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I picked up my 4 inch 625-8 last December. For me it's a game gun only and I shoot USPSA with it using a Blade Tech dropped offset holster and their duplex moon holders. Enormous fun! I rarely shoot anything but round gun in competition these days.

To my thinking, steel full moons at $35 a hundred delivered are pretty hard to beat. Load up all you need before you leave the house and don't putter with them at the range or matches.

No idea what the true potential of the revolver is. It's certainly capable of better than the pathetic groups I put up.

ETA: 618...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, i am really enjoying reading this stuff, as reading this may help prompt me to get another one. it would be a hard sell to the wife tho right now as we bought 4 guns in the last 9 weeks( seems like this time of year i always have to spend money i dont really have).
mine does beg to be held.looked over,shot and talked too, er, i mean talked about.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have two 625s. The miculek model and a regular 4" model both are new style with FP in the frame. These guns shoot like they have radar and regulary put em into the X ring every time. Favorite load is a 200g cast SWC and enough Tightgroup to give me 700fps. I perfer using regular ACP cases with full moons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As my name implies that is my favorite handgun. I have 2 625's. A 5" and a
3". I use to clean house with the 5" in local IDPA until they changed the rules on 5" revolvers. After I got the 3" IDPA folded up here. I always shot revolvers better than autos. I actually carried a S&W model 15 as an issued sidearm in the USAF as a Security police until 1991. my 625's have always worked and never given me any trouble. They are super accurate also. no matter what load I shoot through it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
5" Model of 1988. Full moon, metal. Dillon holster. Tweaks up really good with AR brass and load work up. No slouch with FMJ either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have five 45 ACP revolvers. My 625 is a Performance Center model 4" from Camfour. It is my everyday duty weapon. I have a 325 4" that is my light duty weapon. I have a 2.75" 325 "clear" that is my plain clothes weapon. I have a 2" 625-10 "pinto" that is my pocket gun and backup to the other three. I have a Colt 1917 2" (customized by who & when, I don't know). I gave $250 for it in fair condition. I'm planning on putting a 16" heavy barrel on it (or 12" if I decide to do the NFA paperwork) and a shoulder stock and red dot or trijicon reflex sight to have me a little 45 carbine that uses the same full moon clips as my duty weapon.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
A Mountain 625 pre-lock that had some acid engraving done to it by S&W before I purchased it. Have yet to shoot it, but the trigger is good so I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I may have mentioned this earlier,l I have the hard cast
Leadhead 200 gr. SWC @ 1,025 FPS in both
.45 ACP & Auto RIm. I have read that the narrow rifling in
the 625 leads with soft cast bullets and jacketed bullets are
more accurate in the revolver barrel. I have 500 bullets, Hornady 200 gr. TC-FMJ I'll have loaded to the same velocity. See if it shoots better. THe Hornady 200 gr. XTP-JHP will be loaded to the same velocity for a Hunting / SD-HD load. I'll split the bullet lots with ACP/AR.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i went to the range today, but didnt bring the 625, so i guess that means i have to go again tommorow.
im thinking of shooting further distances than normal(usually i shoot 6 or 12 rds at 3-5 yds, then move to 7-10yds) so i will try 15 yds and see how she does, thanks guys.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great thread!
I have a Model of 1989 4" 625. I had a 1988 5" 625, but an amigo needed it more than I did.
I also have two M-22s and a 25-2.
I used the ranch full moons, but I also have some half moons and a few 1/3 moons in the collection.
I usually shoot a 230 LRN reload in them. For the 22s, I've been loading a 250plated FN reload set at about 750 fps or so. Shoots to point of aim at 7 yards.
I need to get a nice holster for the 625 - something without a thumb strap.
Great guns! And now that I hear the 610 is coming back, I'll be saving up for one of those too!:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a nice S&W model 25 in .45 ACP with 6 1/2 inch barrel. It had a good trigger, and was very accurate. I wanted the cash and sold it to a friend. I didn't really want to sell it, but felt comforted by the fact that my 5 inch 625 is even more accurate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have another story, its not much.
i took a friend to my range for some pistol( he never shot a wilson , so i had to let him, of course he outshot me with it), rifle and tactical shotty practice.
of course i had my JM 625 in the bag, and he wanted to shoot it too. since he did bring me a box of ammo, i let him shoot 4 moonclips through it, he was AMAZED i tell you, he is a glock man, but he actually shot better with the 625. it intrigued him so much, he would change targets after each moonclip or mag in his glock to compare them. hands down, he shot better with the 625 than with his own clock or my Wilson CQB.
i love my JM625.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts