1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a used Dillon 650 for a couple of years (I picked it up on ebay while rather intoxicated – I still drink and I still bid, but I never drink and bid anymore) but never used it as it didn’t come with any caliber conversions and my 550 works like a champ. Any who, Santa brought me some conversions, although not the 9mm one I really need!, but who’s gonna argue with Santa? I’m gonna mount the 650 on a bracket mounted to the wall. Eventually, I’d like to add a case feeder. My question is, how much clearance do I need from the wall to the press for the case feeder? Is there a minimum specific distance from the wall to the back bolt holes for the press? Thanks

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Funny eBay anecdote... :)

If you're using a Dillon 650 Strong Mount, you'll need a minimum of 4.25" from the back edge of the mount to the wall in order to accommodate the case feeder. If you're going to mount your 650 without the Strong Mount, then you'll need a minimum distance of about 7.5" - keep in mind, you'll experience a slight wobble-factor in the topmost portion of your case feeder bowl if you're moving along a good pace. I would imagine the plastic bowl nudging the wall from time to time would get annoying.

When my neighbor placed his 650 against his garage wall, we drilled a couple holes through the top portion of the plastic case feeder into a 1" wood block placed between the case feeder bowl and the wall - straight into a stud. I don't notice any movement in his case feeder, which is something useful if you happen to use a large shellplate for .40.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Just measured mine. My 650 is on strong mounts. From the wall to the rear mounting holes on the press is 19". From the wall to the nearest point on the rear curvature of the casefeeder bowl is 14". So, the furtherest extension point on the casefeeder is 5" rearward of the rear mounting holes of the press.

So, to answer your question, it appears that 5" is the minimum allowable distance from the wall to the rear mounting holes of the press, if you want to install a casefeeder in the future. If I was doing it, I'll allow about 9", just to be safe.

You could call Dillon and get their recommendation on it.

I think you'll really love the 650, and even more so when you add the casefeeder.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just a quick note on conversion kits. If you have access to the Dillon list of what is included in each kit, many of the parts are interchangeable. The same brass pins, also called locater pins are used in many kits, as is the shell plate. You can save some money by comparing what you have, and what you need, then ordering just the parts you need.

JS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts