1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this nice 69C two or three months back.
The price was reasonable so I bought it.
The P-35 is one of my top two favorite handguns. I prefer the forged frame guns over the cast frames.
This is a purely subjective notion, but the difference between those two frames is very similar to the difference in frames between a Les Baer 1911 and a Colt 1911. Baer's guns have frames that are very slightly larger in circumference than Colts.
With the forged frame BHP's, the frame is likewise smaller- it feels better in my hand.

I sent this to Novak's for sights and front strap stippling. Kevin and his crew did a really nice job.
My plan is to send the frame to AP&W for matte hardchrome. I like "old school" two tone guns and I gave my only other "Practical" to my son in law...
I installed a KKM match barrel; cut to length and crowned, finish reamed chamber and throat to seat longish OAL rounds (1.150" JHP's).
The trigger/hammer are Mr. Garthwaite's. Trigger pull is 3.25# and quite clean.
Sear is Chuck Warners "long nose, true radius". This helped obtain a really nice "trigger" with little effort.
Safety is Cylinder and Slide, strong side only.
The slide stop is original that I reconfigured.
Grips (OK- "stocks") are Craig Spegel's Delrin.

It hasn't been to the range yet, but I expect it to shoot 1"-1.50" @ 25 yds. with both carry and range ammo.

Best.
T

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Wow, that's a super nice Hi Power. 69Cs are especially nice since they are the identical to T Series Hi Powers in all but name only.

I really like your APW hard chrome plans. I hope that you post more photos once it's done.

Can't wait for your range report!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Had Kevin do a stippling job on my Detective some years ago. I see his work is still up to par. You have a great looking gun. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Very nice HP you have there sir.I too am sending a lightweight HP to APW in the next day or two.The one i have has been to Novaks allready by previous owner but the sights are not right so maybe Bob and crew can get it right.Also getting 2 tone HC and cerakote w/trigger work with CS kit. Not sure about stippling though was going to ask before sending about checkering if that is posable.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice HP you have there sir.I too am sending a lightweight HP to APW in the next day or two.The one i have has been to Novaks allready by previous owner but the sights are not right so maybe Bob and crew can get it right.Also getting 2 tone HC and cerakote w/trigger work with CS kit. Not sure about stippling though was going to ask before sending about checkering if that is posable.
AP&W will do both stippling and checkering. They will not checker a forged frame gun-the frontstrap is mighty thin compared to a cast frame gun.
40 LPI seems to be the limit on a BHP, and this on the cast frame guns.
Ted Yost is the only 'smith I know of that will checker a forged frame BHP.

If Novak's have previously done your sights, I would suggest sending the slide back to them for any re-work.
If POA/POI is the issue with sights, whoever you have do the work will need the entire gun.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm not really fond of stippling so if APW can checker the alloy frame that is the way i will go but if not i will leave it as is.As for as Novaks the HP was sent to them as a gun by previous owner and the invoice showed that they installed the night sights and sighted to point of aim.It shoots 5 inches low at 15 yards so that don't work for me,when i called they would'nt stand behind the work because it was sent by previous owner even though i had the invoice from the previous owner.I have heard many good things about Novaks but they didn't work for me.I was going to send to APW anyway so no big deal,it will come back right as all of the others Bob has done for me.I'm sure yours will be too.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
AP&W will do both stippling and checkering. They will not checker a forged frame gun-the frontstrap is mighty thin compared to a cast frame gun.
40 LPI seems to be the limit on a BHP, and this on the cast frame guns.
Ted Yost is the only 'smith I know of that will checker a forged frame BHP.

If Novak's have previously done your sights, I would suggest sending the slide back to them for any re-work.
If POA/POI is the issue with sights, whoever you have do the work will need the entire gun.
This is a frequent dilemma; do the sights or refinish first? Basically, the refinisher will have to remove the sights after you just paid to have them installed, possibly botching up a nice job or at least the sighting. OTOH, Novak's can't be expected to touch up special finishes like hard chrome or Ceracote if you had sent them the finished slide for the sight installation. It's a 'Catch 22'.
When I do this, I refinish the slide first, install the sights and touch up with cold blue. The touch up should be confined to the disturbed area, if any, like if I had to do a little filing in the dovetails. The sight covers most of it anyway so you're just concerned about the edges. So the new sights keep their distinctive texture and color. Plus, with night sights, you can't bake, blue, Parkerize or chrome them anyway with the vials in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts