1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing some experimentation with my Ruger Mini 30, and although I have found great accuracy using IMR 3031, I'd like to find a less bulky powder. An appropriate charge leaves powder almost up to the brim of my Winchester casing, and it overflows in Remington cases.

Am considering AA 1680, but how is the accuracy with that? The only other powder I've tried has been IMR 4227, and I am not at all impressed with it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had great luck when I loaded WW748 ball with this cartridge.

I can't remember the load, but it was a FMJ Hornady bullet (maybe a 110 gn.?) and the charge came right up to about 1/8" below the top of the neck.

I do remember clearly that it was sub MOA with a Norinco chromelined barrel SKS. I think it was so accurate because the bullet actually compressed the powder charge eliminating any variance internally. This has always been a goal fo the most accurate loads.

I also recommend 748 for Bench rest accurate .308 Win. loads (44.5 Gns/ 168gn BTHP Match Sierra bullet/ Federal LRP/ Norma Brass) Consistently shoots .4" MOA out of a Heavy Remingto 26" factory VS. I've seen .1" groups out of real bench rest rifles with this load. These loads were not tricled either! Right out of the thrower.

For .45 ACP...5.8Gns. behind a 200 gn. LSWC (Hensley and Gibbs Mold) 5.2 Gns. with 230 Gn hardball bullet.

For .223 Win...27.2 gns. with a 55 gn FMJ w/c Hornady bullet which shoots sub MOA from a stock Bushmaster 16" barrel.

I really love this stuff, and see no reason whatsoever to use anything else for these calibers. It flows wonderfully and is very accurate fom the powder thrower as discussed above. i buy it from "Powder Valley" at $102.00 per 8 pound keg. (It used to be $92.00)

Just my .02 cents worth.

Thanx,

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts