1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way a person can convert a 1911 7 stack magazine to an 8 stack? Is it just the follower needing adjustment? Spring? OR is there something in the magazine its self?

Thanks for any insight . . .

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Several companies (Wilson, McCormick) sell 8-round conversion kits with spring and follower. You must test thoroughly, they are kind of walking on the edge of what can be done with a standard 1911 magazine body.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have only done this on a Wilson magazine. If you are using a Wilson 7 round magazine, you can replace the follower with the 8 round type. There is no 8th round witness hole on the 7 round mags, but otherwise, it works fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you make an 8 stack follower out of a 7 stack one?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
In the Wilson 7 to 8 rd conversion kits I've installed in standard length mag tubes, the big difference was the spring. The 8 rd. mag spring was thinner wire and had less coils so it didn't take up as much space when stacked at the bottom of a full mag, thereby allowing you to increase capacity by an extra round from 7 to 8.

The easiest way to convert a standard 7 rd. mag to 8 rds. is to just buy a conversion kit with new spring and follower. If you have a Wilson mag, you can try just getting the 8 rd. follower from them as mentioned above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link to the McCormick web site. I think Wilson only converts wilson, not colts. Tks!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Midway and Brownells have the MCCormick conversions, the follower on them is a lot nicer than the stock Colt follower, I haven't tried any Wilson conversion, but their mags are my second favorites

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would recommend against it. Not worth it IMO. I went the other way due to magazine failures with CMC. No help from them so I replaced the followers and springs with Tripp and fixed the problem, but still left me with a sour taste for 8rd "Improvements". I am not talking about 1-2 mags. I am talking 7 out of 7 Chip McCormick mags. 2 8 rounders, and 5 10 rounders.
My opinion, take it for what it costs, get good mags like Checkmate or Tripp, or Wilson 7 rd, or get extended mags to make the extra capacity, don't do it with followers and springs.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Lonewolftx said:
I think Wilson only converts wilson, not colts. Tks!
I've used Wilson conversion kits to convert Kimber 7 round mags to 8 rounds. I see no reason why they wouldn't work in in Colt mags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts