1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range yesterday and my 8 round mags would not feed the first round. It got stuck half way in and I had to clear the round as it would not go in at all. It was a WWB 230 gr bullet. Subsequent rounds would work fine and all my 7 round mags worked fine. I have three of each, all Wilsons. How are the 7 and 8 round mags different that would cause this?? It happened on two seperated 1911's, a Stealth and a Kimber Compact, so I am supposing it is a magazine issue.

In another issue, I had fail to lock the slide back on one particular mag. But when I wiped down the action, inside around the slide release, the problem went away. Could dirt cause this problem?? I am replacing all the springs today with ISMI springs.

H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
The 8 rnd mags have less spring tension then the 7 rnd ones, less coils on the springs, Wilson mags are relly good if you use the 7 rounders, i don't like their, or any, 8 rounders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,277 Posts
I sent several 8 round wilson mags to Virgil Tripp for his replacement springs and follower. Now they are 7 rounds and work 100%. The 8 round wilsons work only when the springs and followers are new. The decrease in reliability is not the extra round for me.

RD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,968 Posts
Other Maker's 8 rounders

NJ1108 said:
Novak and Cobra Mags work great in my 1911. Both are 8 rounders.
Never used Novak or Cobra, but CM Shooting Stars have worked well for me for years (I have been told by others that Wilsons are better, so it would seem that Wilsons do indeed work well in some guns).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,319 Posts
Mag-Pack

8-rd'ers, used for years and years; still perfect.

Recently bought an 8-rd Wilson for testing; so far so great. Tried in multiple 1911 platforms; flawless in all.

Friend just received six 8-rd Wilsons to go along with his new S&W 1911; will report his results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Are ACT mags any good? Are there any 8rounders that are really reliable or are 7rounders really the thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
I'm gonna say this point-blank. All you dark and deadly tacticians listen up:

If your 1911 will not function correctly with Wilson 8-round magazines, there is something else wrong with the gun--it's not a mag problem.

It's really just that simple.
 

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
Joined
·
22,222 Posts
A Wilson 8-rounder would not lock the slide of my M1911A1; since we know the gun was made to spec, may there's something wrong with the mag, after all? I'm all in favor of people using what's right for them, and that may or may not be what's right for you. I think it's pretty well established that some guns "prefer" one mag over another, so testing is in order. I have seven mags with Shooting Star followers and Wolff x-tra power springs. All work flawlessly in my Colt(s). A buddy went through them, one at a time, and found only two that would both lock the slide and drop free of his Les Baer. I'll stick with my McCormicks, and he'll stick with his Wilsons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,933 Posts
I use 47D's, exclusively in my 70 Series GC. Never fails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think part of the problem is that officers size frames don't do as well with the 8 round mags...

H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
RickB said:
A Wilson 8-rounder would not lock the slide of my M1911A1;
Obviously, there will be individual specimens of anything that will not function correctly. If you tried several Wilson 8-rounders and none of them locked your slide open, then your slide stop is probably worn or shaped incorrectly, Rick.

Certainly, if you find that another brand works in your gun, that's fine.

But when I hear people saying things like "them 8-round magazines just aren't reliable enough for carry," I think they need to be made to understand that if they are having malfunctions, they are almost assuredly gun-related, not mag-related. Because indeed there are 8-round mags that are as reliable as any 1911 mag can possibly get--and based on a lot of years of first-hand experience I will say categorically that properly-maintained Wilson/Rogers 8-rounders are at least as reliable, and generally more reliable, than any other mags ever made for the 1911.

I understand some old-school shooters don't like the fact that the basepads and the followers are plastic. And some people just can't accept that JMB's original design, while timeless, has in fact been improved upon. OK, fine--I won't try to change their minds. But walk up and down the line at a serious combat shooting match like the Single Stack Classic, where the equipment gets used hard, and see what most of the guys are using. There's a reason.

Believe me, I'd prefer to spend my money with another company (don't get me started on that topic), but the past 15+ years has shown us that the Wilson 47D is the gold standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
carmoney said:
I'm gonna say this point-blank. All you dark and deadly tacticians listen up:

If your 1911 will not function correctly with Wilson 8-round magazines, there is something else wrong with the gun--it's not a mag problem.

It's really just that simple.
Then how do you explain a gun that works with any other brand mag, BUT wilsons? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered some Tripp kits and will see if that makes the difference. I like the hybrid metal/polymer follower and the spring has a couple more coils. If it still doesn't feed or lock back I will look closer at the gun or ammo.

H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Thank you , Carmoney. I share your opinion. Old schoolers who have problems with 8 round mags refuse to admit there might be something not right with their beloved Colt(or clone). And I am amazed at the number of "gunsmiths" who consider 8 rounders to be evil. After 17 years of working on competition/carry 1911's, I have yet to come across one that can't be tuned to run on 8 or even (the HORROR!!!!!) 10 round mags.
I have my asbestos suit on, you may fire when ready, Griddley.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
I've used Wilson 7 rounders since the early 80's. Never had any problems with them. Any 8 round mag is going to be harder to seat under stress. I have seen several people in classes fire one round and have their magazine fall out after a reload.
 

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
Joined
·
22,222 Posts
carmoney said:
Obviously, there will be individual specimens of anything that will not function correctly. If you tried several Wilson 8-rounders and none of them locked your slide open, then your slide stop is probably worn or shaped incorrectly, Rick.

Certainly, if you find that another brand works in your gun, that's fine.
And just as obviously, most people aren't going to buy a half-dozen each, of every mag on the market, looking for the brand that works best. I bought one Wilson, one Shooting Star, and one Mag Pac, and the Shooting Star was the one that worked. Ten years later, the Wilson sits in the safe, the Mag Pac has a Shooting Star conversion in it, and all my Shooting Stars work great. My experience is no more valid than anyone else's (well, OK, maybe it is . . .), but I'm not willing to state that the Shooting Star will work for everyone, nor will I concede that Wilson makes the best-since-sliced-bread mags. Whatever works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Making an otherwise reliable gun work with 10rd mags?

brandx said:
After 17 years of working on competition/carry 1911's, I have yet to come across one that can't be tuned to run on 8 or even (the HORROR!!!!!) 10 round mags.

Speaking of which ... if you have a gun that runs like a scalded dog with 8-rd mags, but chokes (won't go all the way into battery and sets the bullets into the cases visibly) with 10rd mags, what is your list things to check to make it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
RickB said:
And just as obviously, most people aren't going to buy a half-dozen each, of every mag on the market, looking for the brand that works best. I bought one Wilson, one Shooting Star, and one Mag Pac, and the Shooting Star was the one that worked. Ten years later, the Wilson sits in the safe, the Mag Pac has a Shooting Star conversion in it, and all my Shooting Stars work great. My experience is no more valid than anyone else's (well, OK, maybe it is . . .), but I'm not willing to state that the Shooting Star will work for everyone, nor will I concede that Wilson makes the best-since-sliced-bread mags. Whatever works.

+1

Shooting Stars work really well in my Colt.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top