1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the 80's series has more safety features than the 70 series which is more desirable and what made them change from the 70 to 80 series?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Lawsuits made them change a 70 to an 80. The firing pin safety is the result. And whatever you get you are doing just fine. You can be a critic once you have both. I have held and fired more 70s than I can recall. Yet my first ownership and firing of an 80. Did'nt feel any different at all. It takes a trained eye and experience to know the difference.

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
I'm not aware of any actual lawsuits involving Colt. I just think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that Colt realized the potential and decided to do something before it happened. In military service there were several incidents where a dropped M1911A1 discharged, although they were likely due to worn parts like weak firing pin springs (having taken a few M1911A1s apart to find the FP spring was limp as a noodle leads me to this conclusion).

As far as preference, I find that a pre-Series 80 w/o the FPS is safe as long as you use an extra-power FP spring. Aside from that, it's all a matter of opinion.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts