1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Satellite on satellite collisions have speeds that are simply incredible.

Faster than any explosive we have.

The kinetic energy is enough to turn solids into plasma (charged particles).
Atoms come apart.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Very cool footage. I watched it at least 10 times keying in on slide movement relative to bullet position. Also watched at half and quarter speed. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I could see the slide starting back in recoil before the bullet left the barrel. I also used hammer movement as an indicator.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Notice that the bullet is NOT a perfect gasket per se as some gas always escapes ahead of the bullet. Few realize this.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Very cool footage. I watched it at least 10 times keying in on slide movement relative to bullet position. Also watched at half and quarter speed. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I could see the slide starting back in recoil before the bullet left the barrel. I also used hammer movement as an indicator.
Yes the barrel and slide ( locked together at ignition) recoil about .10" prior to the bullets exit. The case presses against the slide and the bullet pulls the barrel forward against the slide lugs which are dragged back by the slides inertia.
The slide barrel lock up cannot release and start link down until the bullet exits as the ignition pressure in the "vessel " keep the upper lugs engaged.
Joe

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
That is waaay cool. I had no idea such a camera even existed, and what it shows is remarkable.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I looked for timing before reading your post and thought I didn't see any movement. However, going frame-by-frame as best I could, it looks like the slide starts moving backward almost as soon as the bullet appears in the muzzle and I'm virtually positive that the slide is moving by the time the bullet completely exits the barrel.

Anybody else notice the puff of smoke upward from the loaded chamber indicator? It appears only at the instant of ignition AFAICT, so must be before pressure seals the case walls to the chamber.

1,200 FPS is mighty fast for a .45 ACP, even with a light bullet. My guess is that it's a different cartridge. .38 Super maybe? Still fast for a lead projectile.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
1,200 FPS is mighty fast for a .45 ACP, even with a light bullet. My guess is that it's a different cartridge. .38 Super maybe? Still fast for a lead projectile.
My guess is that it is a .45 and it isn't travelling at 1,200 fps, which is just some number that some one pulled out.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The math (before I got the films):

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=2977&highlight=1911+dynamics

I asked Werner Mehl for a video with a close up of the bullet in the momento it exits a 45 ACP 1911, and he kindly delivered in 2006:

I have a copy of the film if somebody wants to upload it.

Later, Virgil Tripp made a great high speed film with a cut out 1911 that was floating in the web.

·
Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Notice that the bullet is NOT a perfect gasket per se as some gas always escapes ahead of the bullet. Few realize this.
Most of this gas leaks past the bullet as it leaves the case, within the leade clearance. Once into the barrel proper, the bullet fit is pretty gas tight.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Evidently many believe there's some magic spell on the 1911 that decrees the bullet must leave the barrel before recoil movement may start. They may also believe that the friction of the bullet traveling forward in the barrel aids in that. Every extreme slo-mo I've ever seen with .45 ACP at 830 FPS in a 5" barrel has the slide obviously moving before the bullet clears.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts