1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 7mm hunting gun. I have narrowed it down to three that I like... Beretta Tikka T3, Remington 700SF and Winchester M70 Classic. The Beretta has a 24 3/8" barrel while the other two have 26". Does this much difference matter very much with 7mm? What is your experiences and/or opinions between these three? Also, should I be looking at 7mm mag? I'm looking for a gun that can be used for deer, elk and multiple other uses.

I know there was another thread similar to this recently but with another caliber. I want to make sure I'm getting accurate info for the 7mm. Thank you for your help and input!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
AZ,

I suggest you look around for a Beretta Mato. They can be had for some nice prices now as I heard they've been discontinued. This is a VERY nice gun, it just became redundant when Beretta bought Sako.

I have a synthetic model in .30-06 and it is the most accurate "hunting" rifle I've ever owned. The 7mm Mag should perform just as well.

JMHO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30-06

I've also been hearing that there are a lot more amunition options for 30-06. Should I be looking at that caliber instead? If so, Winchester is the only one that makes 24" barells (that I can find) while everyone else makes 22". My local gun shop says that you should always go with the longer barell. Is this true? Thanks again for the input. I'm new to long guns and appreciate any suggestions I can get.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
A 22" barrel is handier (easier to carry) the 24" give slightly better velocities. What's more important to you?

Perform an internet search for "Beretta Mato" and see what comes up. The decision may be made for you when you find the correct rifle at an attractive price.

As you can tell I'm really sold on the Mato. I think it is a rifle that can hold it's own with any and at today's prices can be a steal.

As far a caliber is concerned what is the "objective"? If you're looking for a deer rifle either caliber mentioned will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Well, I just bought a Tikka Whitetail deluxe because they are also being discontinued, it showed up with a crack in the stock, and all I can say is Beretta's rep for crappy customer service seems to be well earned...

Of the three, I'd have to say go Winchester. You might also consider a Browning A-bolt--I have two and they are both quite accurate and flawless performers. In fact, my 243 medallion is probably my most accurate rifle. I also have a model 70 that is a damn good rifle too. Remington's can be very accurate, but QC seems to be spotty, most of the bolts I have tried the past few years feel like they have sand in the action, and Reminton just laid off most of its workforce and is on the edge of bankruptcy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just got a 7mm Browning Medallion A-bolt and love it. It's beautiful and more accurate than I am, and although no world class competitor or "sniper" I'm not much of a slouch either.

Recoil isn't bad for this caliber, although it's about the upper end of what I'd want to shoot without a LOT of acclimation time to getting the snot beat out of me.

It'd be enough gun for most North American game. Big bears would be the exception.

You won't find as MUCH ammo as the '06, especially cheap surplus stuff, but I haven't seen a shortage of ammo for it. If you're looking for a specific factory load you may have to order it, but I have yet to find a shop or general sporting goods store that doesn't have some kind of 7mm ammo (assuming you're not talking about the short mag).

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
For 7mm Remington Magnum a couple of inches of barrel length won't make any difference to the elk. Suggest don't worry too much about the length, just get the rifle that appeals to you.

It's all like Ford vs. Chevy anyway, there is no one "best" brand of rifle.

As far as caliber goes, same thing. Each has it's strengths.

For game bigger than deer, the 7mm Mag would be better. Flatter shooting, harder hitting.

For all around versatility (deer and certainly anything smaller) the .30-06 is better. Many more choices in bullet size and type in .30-06, and much more handloading data available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts