1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Wilson 8 round mags for the Officers in a New Agent?

I'm partial to either oem or Shooting Stars myself, every since my first Colt which was a 90's 'enhanced' and it came with factory Colts with shooting star followers. I've always had 100% reliability with both of those in all my 1911's.

I carry the New Agent daily with a Colt 7 rounder, so the idea of one extra round in there is appealing.

Any experience? :scratch:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You can do it...but it will stick out of the bottom of the frame quite a bit...The 7 rounder you have is already a +1 design. The original Officers mags are 6 round...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Make sure you get a base plate extension so you don't over insert the mag and ruin the ejector.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can do it...but it will stick out of the bottom of the frame quite a bit...The 7 rounder you have is already a +1 design. The original Officers mags are 6 round...

Right- I knew that, but these are specifically 8 rounders for the officers, etc...I thought these are flush-fitting for the compacts. I can't find a pic of one inserted into a compact, though.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Compact-8-Round-Lo-Profile-OM-Steel-Base-Pad-Black/productinfo/47DOXB/

·
Registered
718 Posts
I like Wilson mags a lot. I was going to caution about over-insertion til I read the earlier post about how the nose of the base plate should prevent this. I shoot both Officer and full-size 1911s and even though I knew better, I accidentally slammed an eight-round mag into the Officer while the slide was locked back -- a big no-no. Had to push it out with a stick of wood. No damage done, but have learned to not make that mistake again.

If an Officer was my only 1911 I can understand why an eight-round mag would be attractive for range use. But for a concealed weapon it will print like a full-size anyway.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
At the range I use Gov length mags in my Defender and other shorter than Gov. 1911s. I started to do it back in the 80s when I picked up a little Detonics to back up my Colt Gov. primary carry. These little guys have the shortest grip of any 1911 type pistol I have. Below is an Officer length mag in one.

A Gov. length mag is even more impressive.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
because they're metal? The oem Colt are metal too.
No. Because of the Devel design of the follower. They are made to move forward on the last shot and they peck at the very bottom of or just below the frame feed ramp. The McCormick Shooting Stars do this to my SCG. Doesn't bother me as it's not a functional issue and the ding in the steel frame won't go deep. On my WC Commander the Colt split follower design does the same thing, but being an alloy frame I switched to a magazine with a skirted follower to keep it from continuing.

Look for this first time you use the Shooting Stars. This was after the first 500 rounds in the Commander with the stock Colt mags.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My NA's oem mags aren't Shooting Stars, they are the normal 'Colt' 7 round compacts...I'll compare the two in a bit.
I shoot the SS's out of my steel full size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts