1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was considering whether to change out the mags in my "night stand" gun. I have shotgun, rifle, 1911, cell phones, extra flashlights, alarm system, dog, etc. Long guns and the Sig 5" 1911 w/rail all have lights. I was considering changing out my 8 round mags for extended 10 round versions (as you can see I try to get every possible edge at home and was wondering about peoples experience w/ 10 round mags. Reliable enough? I would test extensively so don't bother offering that advise but thought if the general opinion was no, why bother!

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
You have a shotgun,rifle,alarm,dog, & a 1911, + all the guns have lights.

Dude, I think you are more than prepared.

Another two shots per mag seems kinda silly to me at this point.

I sleep ok with just a .357 nearby.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If you want to do it, do it. You may need them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
For a nightstand/"zombie" gun I can think of absolutely zero downside to have as much ammo in the gun as you can. Zero! I keep an HK USP45 Tactical by my bed with a 12 round mag in it, and if HK made a 20 round tactical/extended mag I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Again, this assumes it runs reliably and as you have already stated you'd test if thoroughly so no worry there.

In a gun that gets carried you often have to balance capacity with size. It's not the overall length of the gun that dictates how well a gun conceals, it's usually the length of the grip. So yeah, there I can understand carrying a flush fit mag. But if the gun just sits on the nightstand there's no down side to it (until the size gets absurd, at least).

I say go for it!

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Whatever works for you. I have an 870 with a speed feed stock, sideshell holder on the receiver, and an extended tube along with a Ruger Security Six stoked with JHP and a speed load to drop in my pocket. Never did much worry about cylinder capacity.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I slap a 10 rounder in the Commander, when it's on nightstand duty, but the Glock gets more nightstand duty now, (17 rounds).

Hehe... I said duty.... 3 times...

The 10 rounders are McCormicks.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I'm with Angel, in that I much prefer my G17 with 18 rounds and light to any of my other options. Against so-called expert "conventional" wisdom, I'm of the opinion that shotguns aren't optimal for home defense.

IF I did use one of my shotguns for h.d., it sure as heck wouldn't be a pump. If superior reliability, etc., rested in pumps, my Glock would be a pump. ;)

One caveat to my just-posted, maybe controversial opinion regarding shotguns: If I do hear that droves of doves are invading homes in my area, I'll get out the shotty! :D

Oh, yeah, I'll feel a lot better about my choice of the G17, as soon as the suppressor arrives; don't want to suffer hearing damage, if I have to dispatch a parasite.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried Glocks (had a G19) but after shooting 1911's and Hi-powers for decades, they don't point right for me. I could put a twenty round magazine in one of my Hi-powers, I suppose.

Any more feedback on the 10 rounds would be appreciated... The 45 acp seems like a better round to us old timers.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Personally, I don't see that much advantage of two rounds extra vs. cost. If during the night 8 rds. of 45acp don't do the trick, I doubt that two more would really help. Keep at least one other mag. with the gun in question. That gives ya 16 rds. If you're still in the deep stuff, ya'll better have a shotty, AR, or AK handy.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I used to use a Tripp 10 rounder in my 1911 for nightstand duty. 10+1 rounds of .45 is pretty formidable. However, I recently "switched" my routine to M&P 9mm, so now I have 17+1 rounds instead. My Tripp magazine had over 100 rounds of flawless perfection (defensive rounds) before it was honored with that role though.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
So I was considering whether to change out the mags in my "night stand" gun. I have shotgun, rifle, 1911, cell phones, extra flashlights, alarm system, dog, etc. Long guns and the Sig 5" 1911 w/rail all have lights. I was considering changing out my 8 round mags for extended 10 round versions (as you can see I try to get every possible edge at home and was wondering about peoples experience w/ 10 round mags. Reliable enough? I would test extensively so don't bother offering that advise but thought if the general opinion was no, why bother!
Well, if intruders get past the rifle, shotgun, and 1911 with eight round mags, you are probably in more trouble than you are capable of dealing with. At that point, two extra rounds is not going to make much difference.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You don't have a flamethrower?
:rofl: Funds might be tied up filling the moat with Sharks and Cuda. Just kidding of course, you can never be too prepared.

I'm not a fan of the 10 rnd mags, as already mentioned springs wear faster but it's a non issue if you maintain them regularly.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I sleep just fine & feel very secure with a DB coach gun, 1911 backup with 15 rounds and the wife's 357mag revolver with xtra speedloader. Not to mention the two four legged burglar alarms.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering the sharks and cuda... My four legged alarm is sleeping a little too soundly these days!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My 10-rounders have been flawless. they got loaded and unloaded several times a week from july through september (uspsa competition). I experienced zero failures.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I want to get some 10-rounders. Which of the three suggested (Tripp, WC, Chip McCormick) have the longest magazine bodies?

·
Registered
277 Posts
My nightstand gun is a Wilson a combat CQB railed with a SureFire X300 Ultra. I have a 10 rd WC mag in it (topped off Condition 1) with Speer Good Dots. I'm not too concerned due to them having to get past my attack cat. She will trip them as they break in (her secret weapon)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have the CMC 10 rounders, some are more than a decade old and they all work perfectly. I only use them in matches but not for a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts