1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this from DW Shaw at the last show. It is ball bearing steel. I think the handle is made from coconut husk that has been stabilized. I've carried and used it for about 6 weeks now it it has held it's edge well.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a smaller knife. tip to hilt is 3 inches and the handle is 3.5. when I started to handle it the maker said it was meant to be held like this

it works great for small cutting tasks and is easy to carry as a belt knife. when folks see it they say "wow that is neat looking" so there is little scary factor to it. this is the $125 brother that measures in at 4 inches for the blade and 4 inches for the handle. I got them together for $200

·
Registered
551 Posts
If the "ball bearing" steel is 52100 (which is often referred to as sunch), it is one of the best steels I have ever used for holding an edge and ease of sharpening. I love it. Not a lot of makers use it much anymore for some reason, but most will if you request it.

It will rust easily, and like any other high carbon steels, it will stain, especially when used to skin and dress game.

I have several that I have had made with 52100 and they see a lot of use during hunting season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts