1911Forum banner

870 Break down Grrrr

1397 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  NaturalSelector
Well guys my new 870 tactical is proving a little butt when it comes to break down... It did not come with a manual so I figured how hard can it be?

The screw down mount is not on the top of the tube extension/spring, it is actually half way down the tub extension.. I managed to get that off , the spring out ect... However I cannot get the barrel to seperate from the reciever. No matter what position the foregrip is in I cannot get it off. I have tried the slide lock to no avail..

It does not appear that the side saddle mount is preventing this from seperating and I dont see any other buttons, knobs, or switches I need to press in order for this to take place....

Any ideas?Ohh ya it is a Remington 870 Tactical Model 26471
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're the man brother... I looked everywhere on their site bah!!

Thanks!! :)

I will let you know.

· Registered
260 Posts
870 Tear Down

Here is a rundown on disassembily of a Remington 870. This is my Marine Magnum but they are all similar.

1: Make sure the gun is unloaded and remove the sling if you have one

2: Mine has a magizine extension so remove the screw and barrel clamp

3: If you have a mag extension unscrew it from the magizine tube, if no extension it will be a cap on the end

4: If no mag extension their will be a plastic plug in the end of the mag tube. To remove it take a flat screwdriver and push it down and turn 90* and it will come out. Be careful the spring is under quite a bit of tension, so hold on to it.

5: Stand the gun up with the butt on the ground, rack the slide back and pull the barrel forward, removing it from the reciver

DO NOT hold the gun upside down or the locking lug will prevent the barrel from being removed.

6: Pull the forend forward, it will stop at the end of the forward stroke flip the gun over and push the shell retaning lever inside the lower port where my finger is.

push it in while pulling forward on the forend, but dont push the elevator up to far or the bolt will hang up on it. It may take a few tries, but it will go. when you get it just pull everything out the front.

7: With every thing removed take a punch or a small Phillips screwdriver and push out the 2 pins. If a side saddle is used it should have 2 screws in place of the pins.

8: Pull down on the trigger guard and the assembily will drop out.

This is as far as I recomend dissembily without some armorer instruction

Reassembily is just run in reverse except when you put the bolt, carrier plate, forend/op rod assembily back into the reciver. The shell relese tabs that you had to push in to remove the assembily their is acually 2 inside the reciver, one on each side, and BOTH have to be depressed to get the assembily to go back into the gun.

I hope this helps.

· Registered
260 Posts
It took me an hour and a half to take pix and get all uploaded. So if you still cant get it PM or E-mail me and I will walk you through it.

· Administrator
13,349 Posts
Wow . That was a great pictorial for disassembly 45ps !! :)

NS
If you still haven't gotten it off , make sure the bolt is unlocked from the barrel and grip the barrel lug (the part the mag tube goes through) and twist it left & right while forcefully pulling forward . If neccessary , use a padded [rubber or leather] mallet to break it loose . Because of the coating applied , the parts fit extra tight . After a few disassemblies , it will become "looser" .

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
45 procarry you are the man!!!

I followed the instructions exactly and I still couldn't get it out... I think it is just super tight!!

When I get home this evening I am going to try and use a mallet to get the dadgum thing apart...

This should work...

Thanks guys for all the help, this is the tightest fit on a shotgun I have ever seen... Sheesh!!

thanks again to pro, shane, and guy!!! :rock:

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So before I get home and go crazy...

By using the mallet where exactly to I hit it? lol

I am assuming on like the bottom of the stock? I don't want to put a punch inside the ejection port and hit it with the mallet, with like the padded punch on the edge of the barrel?

I hope not :) :biglaugh:

· Administrator
13,349 Posts
With the bolt partially open , tap the barrel lug from the side . First left , then right . Just enough to break it loose . Then put the butt between your feet , grasp the barrel lug with both hands and work it left & right as you take it forward .

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
guy sajer said:
With the bolt partially open , tap the barrel lug from the side . First left , then right . Just enough to break it loose . Then put the butt between your feet , grasp the barrel lug with both hands and work it left & right as you take it forward .

Stuff like this always makes me nervous lol ... I will let you knows know tomorrow afternoon what happened... Initially I thought maybe tghe side saddle was mounted strange so that it prevented the barrel from sliding out... That does not appear to be the case..

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wooohoooo!!!

I got it tapped out... Whew!! That is a tight fit for sure... Thanks Guy :rock:

45procarry I really appreciate you taking the time to do this brother...Granted the barrel to receiver fit is tight, however the rest of the walk-through was awsome and did help me finish the break down.. I really appreciate it all the brother...

You guys are part of the reason 1911forum is the best forum on the net.. :)

Thanks to everyone....

Now time to clean.. ;) :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.