1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone wants to trade me a 1911 colt .45 acp. It would come with everything original and a 9.25 dillon barrel and spring with a colt 9mm slide and a 10mm fusion barrel with 5 10mm mags. My question is do you think the gun is safe? Is there anything I should know? Would it be better to have a 1911 that was already made for 10mm or does it not matter? Never heard of 9.25 dillon til today.

· Registered
867 Posts
The 9x25 Dillon was used briefly in competition shooting to gain more compensator action. It actually drove the gun down. It did not last long in competition.

As a field cartridge it has considerable power assuming bullets suitable are used. I don't recall the velocities it delivers, but it is beyond most 9mm bullet design velocities.

There is nothing particularly wrong or bad about the cartridge, but it is an orphan these days. You would have to form cases as I don't think there were ever any factory made cases.

If the price is right, go for it.

· Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Someone wants to trade me a 1911 colt .45 acp. It would come with everything original and a 9.25 dillon barrel and spring with a colt 9mm slide and a 10mm fusion barrel with 5 10mm mags. My question is do you think the gun is safe? Is there anything I should know? Would it be better to have a 1911 that was already made for 10mm or does it not matter? Never heard of 9.25 dillon til today.
Sounds like a great combination. I run a fusion barrel in one of my commander’s it’s in 357 Sig It’s very well made and is very accurate. The question is do you have the knowledge to disassemble this 1911 and change slides and barrels ? ?

· Registered
283 Posts
The 9x25 Dillon was used briefly in competition shooting to gain more compensator action. It actually drove the gun down. It did not last long in competition.

As a field cartridge it has considerable power assuming bullets suitable are used. I don't recall the velocities it delivers, but it is beyond most 9mm bullet design velocities.

There is nothing particularly wrong or bad about the cartridge, but it is an orphan these days. You would have to form cases as I don't think there were ever any factory made cases.

If the price is right, go for it.
A major problem with the comped 9x25 was that is caused serious elbow damage to the shooter.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a great combination. I run a fusion barrel in one of my commander’s it’s in 357 Sig It’s very well made and is very accurate. The question is do you have the knowledge to disassemble this 1911 and change slides and barrels ? ?
It shouldn't be that hard to disassemble and change the barrel, spring, and slide or is there something else I should know before?

· Premium Member
1,700 Posts
It shouldn't be that hard to disassemble and change the barrel, spring, and slide or is there something else I should know before?
No they are easy to change. Lots of YouTube videos for just about everything on a 1911 and lots of help on this site. The 10 MM round is a hot one it will make that 40 cal. Round get up and go. Your 9 MM works best with a ramped barrel but yours may not be ramped. You could post some pictures of everything you get on the deal and there are lots of guys on this site that can tell you what you need to know and advise you on this pistol. If your frame has a 45 ejector you would need to change that for your 9 MM not hard to do.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No they are easy to change. Lots of YouTube videos for just about everything on a 1911 and lots of help on this site. The 10 MM round is a hot one it will make that 40 cal. Round get up and go. Your 9 MM works best with a ramped barrel but yours may not be ramped. You could post some pictures of everything you get on the deal and there are lots of guys on this site that can tell you what you need to know and advise you on this pistol. If your frame has a 45 ejector you would need to change that for your 9 MM not hard to do.
Font Rectangle Symmetry Illustration Pattern

· Registered
23,957 Posts
A 9x25 barrel made out of a .45 barrel sounds strange. I know how it could be done, but I don't know if it SHOULD be done. Simpler and stronger to rechamber a 9mm or .38 barrel.

Not clear, are the 9x25 and 10mm barrels meant to be used in a 9mm slide or a .45 slide? Again, I can see how to use the 9mm slide; the first ever 10mm Colt was made by modifying a .38 Super, the .45 would be different.

If you have it, let us know how it works in the various calibers.

· Registered
3,622 Posts
I have a "Lone Wolf" 9x25 Dillon barrel for my Glock 29. It sticks out the end of the slide 1” because of porting. The ammo I have, by Double Tap cruises at 1,800 FPS.

While not cheap both Underwood and Double Tap makes ammo in 9x25 Dillon. Dillon, of reloading fame, developed it so they could make “Major” caliber with a 9MM bullet. Recoil is not bad, but it is loud!
Brown Product Wood Font Gold

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.