1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys ever try this? Pretty good little training drill. Tests accuracy, speed, gunhandling... All in 9 shots and 15 seconds!

Start at 15 yard line. Standing.
When whistle blows, three shots to center mass of B-27 target.

Reload and drop to kneeling.

Three shots to center mass of B-27 target.

Reload and drop to prone.

At 15 seconds, the whistle blows and time's up!

Total of 9 shots, 90 points possible. Two mag changes, three different shooting positions, and accuracy is important. Pretty cool drill, and a lot of fun. Yesterday I managed to be top dog with a score of 85, next best was 80 and it was downhill from there. Most guys were rushing it too much, fumbling with mag changes, shooting too fast and throwing rounds outside the scoring rings (nothing out of the 8 ring counts, we just use the B-27 repair centers for the drill).

Same drill can be used with AR-15's or MP-5's too. I'd like to try it with a revolver someday.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds good, I like the El Prez the best so far. One thing I will mention is that the 15 yard line is a good place to shoot. A lot of bad habits are not revealed until shooters get to the 15 yard line, like slapping the trigger. I will have to give this a try. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Sounds like a good drill. If you want to stress the guys a little more, throw in 10 pushups before starting. That little exertion gets people all kinds of flustered. The huffing, puffing and shakes really lower the fine motor skills and highlight problems with mag changes. You know, the guy who insists he can bring the slide back into battery with the slide release button instead of a palm rack suddenly isn't so confident (or smooth).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sounds like a good drill. I would like to throw in head shots. Personal issue from the past. But I really like the change up, distance and reloads.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It will certainly give you some practice reloading, which is not a bad thing.

I don't know of any serious trainers or gunmen using the B-27 though. It teaches one to shoot for an inefective part of the anatomy. Some folks call it the "widow maker" other the "suicide target".

That would be easily remidied by putting an index card in the high chest of an IALEFI Q or an IDPA target. I see no problem with trying to keep a tight group wile doing it.

Perhaps a more relevant use of 9 rounds would be to mark out a right triangle with the base being about 7 yards in range and 3 yards wide. The tip of the triangle being around 10 yards. Shoot three rounds on the move at the forward oblique, reload on the move, shoot 3 rounds while moving laterally, reload on the move and fire 3 while moving backward. Same time limit would work as it takes a little while to reach the corners of the triangle.

Usually I run this with two targets and do 3 rounds on each target twice while moving around the triangle (12 rnds total) but I am not too concerned with time as long as the students stay on the move.

Still on the whole it is a good idea.

Just a thought,
Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a good drill. I agree the 15 yard line is a good distance to shoot from as mistakes start to become more apparent. I know this is where my group starts to spread. I am on the range all next week and am going to give this a try. Thanks again.

Decado

·
Registered
902 Posts
Jim, I like the triangle idea. It gets the students out of the "stand and shoot" mind set. I wish I could try this today but I fear that my class is a bit too big and safety might be an issue. Perhaps tomorrow... hmmmmm???:)

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
M700 said:
You guys ever try this? Pretty good little training drill. Tests accuracy, speed, gunhandling... All in 9 shots and 15 seconds!

Start at 15 yard line. Standing.
When whistle blows, three shots to center mass of B-27 target.

Reload and drop to kneeling.

Reload and drop to prone.

At 15 seconds, the whistle blows and time's up!

Total of 9 shots, 90 points possible. Two mag changes, three different shooting positions, and accuracy is important. Pretty cool drill, and a lot of fun. Yesterday I managed to be top dog with a score of 85, next best was 80 and it was downhill from there. Most guys were rushing it too much, fumbling with mag changes, shooting too fast and throwing rounds outside the scoring rings (nothing out of the 8 ring counts, we just use the B-27 repair centers for the drill).

Same drill can be used with AR-15's or MP-5's too. I'd like to try it with a revolver someday.

Regards, Guy
Sounds like a modified D drill :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Here's a good drill I've read Rob Leatham uses:

Draw and fire two rounds, both hands. Then drop support and fire two rounds, strong hand only. Then transfer to weak hand and fire two rounds, weak hand only. start at 3-5 yards, and try to shoot a one-hole group. Move the target out 1-2 yards and repeat. By the time you've worked out to 15 yards, you'll find you really have to concentrate on the front sight to keep a tight group. It's a great training session warm up drill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.