1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had no idea Colt made an enhanced government in 9X23 until today, when I bought one. I remember reading an article by Jan Liboural where he tested a 1991 in that caliber, but this is not a 1991. It was sold to me as "nib and 100% original", but I can't confirm this because I don't know the specifics on this caliber. I just detail stripped it to find everything normal except for the recoil springs (there are two of them, one inside the other) and the recoil spring guide (it's plastic with what appears to be some sort of shock-buff plate on it). The model number is 01923E and the serial number is FRXXXXXE. I gave about $750 for it. Does anybody own one of these, because I'm really curious about it. Sorry so long

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes, I have one nib. I have not detail stripped mine, so I don't know the recoil set up. I have 3 converted models and a Springfield factory gun. Enjoy the gun.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
About 4yrs. ago Colt produced Enhanced 9x23's and also sold .38 supers with additional 9x23 barrel/spring as a kit. Buddy of mine sold his .38 super and gave me the 9x23 stuff. I dropped the stuff in my bright stainless .38 with no prob.. I like the setup almost a much as my Delta.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Emmo, I took my Colt apart and sure enough there was a two piece spring. It looks like the same set-up that was standard on the Delta Elites.In one of my other 9x23 I run a 24lb spring for the factory stuff the problem is I went to change the spring on the outdoor range and the spring cap took off. Luckily I caught a glimpse of it on the way down, it landed 50ft away in the grass.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, good thing you found the spring cap, JoeMC. It might have been hard to find another one of those. Does anybody know if the factory Colt 9X23s have any collector value? I talked to Colt reps about it and apparently they were made for only about 6 months in 1997 due to lack of sales. They didn't know how many were produced and they didn't know if the things have collector value. Mine would be perfect except for that the top of the slide has a pitted area about the size of a freckle. Probably from sitting in its box for the last 4 years. Does anybody know if a pit crater can be fixed?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I shot one of the Colt Series 80 9x23's for a season of ESP class IDPA.

It was an amazing firearm- incredibly fast, and one of the few guns I have owned that never jammed or misfed once. Best of all it worked fine when using Colt 10mm magazines.

But, I just couldn't handle the brass cost on top of the other calibers I load for and reluctantly sold it. The good news is I bought a sub-1000 serial number Delta Elite with box and unfired- but I still miss that gun. Truly a great gun in a near perfect caliber.

------------------

·
Registered
218 Posts
I read in American Handgunner, three or four years ago, that Colt sold 500 of these models upon their release in '96/'97. How many were actually manufactured probably is not much more than that number.

I am surprised that the 9x23 Winchester did not catch on since there seems to be a never ending search for a better 9mm platform. This cartridge seems to fit the bill quite well, if you like medium bore.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone know where you can find a picture of the Colt government in 9X23? Those I already have found on the internet has been of very bad quality.

Any help is much appreciated....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hers a Factory Enhanced 9x23. Will this help?

the only visable sign that it's a 9x23 is the barrel markings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts