1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys familiar with this caliber? It's supposed to be a 10mm case necked down to 9mm. Would you know where I can get case forming and reloading dies, as well as a barrel reamer?

·
Registered
385 Posts
The 9x25mm Dillon was created by Dillon Precision employee Randy Shelley. His intent was to design a better cartridge for IPSC competition. His goal was a cartridge that would make Major power factor with minimal pressure and increased controllability when compensated. Max velocities show a 115g JHP at 1587fps and a 124g FMJ at 1529 (from an 8" bbl). According to Lymans Pistol and Revolver Load Book, the short neck of the 9x25 limits it to bullets between 115-124 grains. Anything lighter showed poor accuracy; heavier bullets had to be seated much too deep in the case. The case is formed by full length sizing a 10mm Auto case in a 9x25 sizing die. Carbide sizing dies are available from Dillon for a little over $100.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a Bar Sto 9X25 Dillon barrel for my Glock 20. As far as I'm concerned, the load data in the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook is totally worthless. Lyman's 8" 9X25 bbl velocities can be beaten with a 5 or 6" 357 Sig. It's been a while since I played with it, but the best bullet for this cartridge is the 125 gr Speer Gold Dot that is used for the 357 Sig cartridge. It has an appropriate ogive for the short necked case. The Sierras will work,(meaning a good ogive for the short neck), but they won't hold up to the velocity of this cartridge if you want any penitration at all. One interesting note about it: I was able to break 2000 fps over the chronograph with Hornady 90 gr XTPs, but they fragmented in the first gallon water jug like a varmit bullet. Never did shoot it on paper to check for accuracy. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a 6" 10mm 1911 and 9X25 Dillon bbl for that gun instead of the Glock. The only round that will beat it(in a 1911) for velocity, is the new 38 Casull, and that's a $2500.00 gun, plus dies and brass. My 9X25 Dillon was just a $300 experiment for sh*ts and grins. In fact, now that I think about it, if I had it to do over again, I think I would just keep my $300.

·
Super Moderator
7,889 Posts
Bad cartridge in a comped 1911. The noise and recoil impulse caused flinches. It was hot for a year on the circuit, then died.

Before Dillon stuck their name on it, the Aussies had used it for a bit, then dropped it, much like we did years later.

But, great round in an AR upper. 2000+fps in a 16.5 barrel with N-110 and 115 gn bullets.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lets see, take a 10mm case and bottleneck it to 9mm, sounds a lot like that "NEW" 357 Sig.

What's OLD is NEW again.

Is there any REAL diffreance between the 9x25mm and the 357 Sig?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Originally posted by Frank Sottile:
Lets see, take a 10mm case and bottleneck it to 9mm, sounds a lot like that "NEW" 357 Sig.

What's OLD is NEW again.

Is there any REAL diffreance between the 9x25mm and the 357 Sig?
Well, the 9X25 does have more case capacity, so it can be loaded to produce higher velocity than the 357 Sig, but for what purpose? It's a wildcat cartridge, no factory ammo or even brass is available. That's why it's just something to play with.
To answer your question, the velocity difference is about the same as comparing .40 S&W to 10MM. To some, there's a big difference. Others probably think not.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts

Here is a 357SIG and the 9x25
difference in case size and primer used..Small for the 357SIG and the 9x25 used a large pistol primer

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the 9x25 vs 357 Sig, as no one has any 9x25 in stock near me, I have not been able to do a side by side. Now what about the 9mm Largo?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I believe from the 9mm Largo and the WIN9x23 are dimensionally the same case on the outside. The WIN brass much thicker, I think almost twice as thick. The 9mm Largo chronographs about the 1150 to 1200fps range with a 127 gr. bullet from some charts I have seen. Pretty close to factory 38 super. The WIN9x23 chronos about 1450-1500fps depending on whick factory load you are working with. You probably could shoot the largo in a gun set up for WIN9x23 but not vice versa. If you find some and don't reload it probably would make a good practice round.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My IPSC shooting partner shoots 9X25. Yeah its loud but I tell you what, at the 98 aware, one stage had only the targets head exposed, yaknow that tiny a zone, well, my buddy double tapped/hammered the a's from about 15 yards out on both targets. I have it on video and have watched it multiple times. The muzzle of his gun just simply doesnt move. Very high comp efficiency from that round. I have shot his gun and you can actually watch the dot pretty much stay on target. I think the 9x25 demise was early based on what i have seen. Anyone got 400 corbon experience. I have a para45 open gun and would like more comp efficiency myself!

[This message has been edited by shane45 (edited 05-31-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts