1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy on a facebook page that has slide numbered 938853 for sale , in case someone is looking to reunite their receiver ...

·
Administrator
73,049 Posts
Assuming that receiver even still exists (which is unlikely), by the time the owner finally sees this thread it'll be long gone.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct , it's marked sold pending funds .. took over a day though ... feel free to remove the thread

·
Administrator
73,049 Posts
Sadly, when you see a GI slide floating around for sale that isn't a field replacement it usually means the receiver it previously belonged to was destroyed, either as part of a military de-mil program or destruction by the police. That's why there are so many slides out there for sale and so few GI receivers available to put guns back together with.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed , I also wonder if it were on say an Rem Rand or Ithaca and someone found a proper top end to go with the bottom ?

I remember looking at a Colt that wasn't a rearsenal and the top end was 20 off from the receiver ...

·
Administrator
73,049 Posts
I've got a nice Remington Rand top end that I'd like to mate with a '45 lower sometime. A couple of good mixmaster candidates have shown up on Gunbroker but I'm always too slow.

·
Premium Member
15,357 Posts
Agreed , I also wonder if it were on say an Rem Rand or Ithaca and someone found a proper top end to go with the bottom ?

I remember looking at a Colt that wasn't a rearsenal and the top end was 20 off from the receiver ...
The 'slightly off' slides are generally considered to be the result of 'standardization' testing at Colt, where the 'wrong' slides were simply left on the pistols when shipped. This was about the time when they realized that there was no longer any valid reason to number the slides at all. I guess this will always knock a little value off, but another viewpoint might be that the 'slightly off' slide numbers represent tangible evidence of standardization testing, which was a new requirement for U.S. small arms, thereby creating more interest and possible value. In that light, I guess I would rather have a numbered Colt that was 'slightly off' than a later unnumbered one, all things being equal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts