1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a stainless 1991A1, and hate the look of the finish. What finish could I have applied to improve this?

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Registered
271 Posts
You don't like the brushed stainless? Anything you apply will be less durable then what you have now. I would have to agree that some sort of coating is best but I can't recomend any particular brand.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You could do a high polish and get some pearl grips and get a big brimmed hat and a few whoe's and start a new career! Actually, I want to eventually get a stainless and polish one for my "pimp" gun. I do have an XSE, but it's too pretty to polish. Maybe you could just sand your sides with 400 grit paper using a sanding block to get the semi polished or brushed look. Maybe a brass wire brush wheel on a bench grinder? Just be careful around your numbers and roll marks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I seem to remember someone here (DSK maybe) saying that they tried to polish a matte stainless Colt and it did not turn out due to the amount of matte finish. I am sure someone will bring it up.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Does it have the Trophy brushed stainless finish? Or the matte stainless of the 1991s of norm? If you have it polished it won't be completely flat on flats. If that is of no concern, go for it. Have it done by a pro and it should be very good. Otherwise you get what you put into it. Like if you tried to buff it yourself you'll get a polished mountain. I don't think you would like a treated finish. Anymore then what you have.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The standard 1991A1 Stainless finish looks kind of like crap IMHO. You could have a good gunsmith polish or give it a nicer "brushing" of the flats and give the rounds a nice fine-satin bead blasting. That should come out looking something like this:

If you want it to have a nice, even "satin" silver look you could have the whole thing bead-blasted, kind of like the treatment Kimber gives their basic stainless pistols.

Since it's stainless it would be relatively inexpensive either way.

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is one SWEET lookin piece CastleBravo! I sure wish they still made those things,I'd have to make an immediate purchase.

Thanks for sharing,Byron

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bead-blasting sounds promising. I was also thinking of Bearcoat, maybe I'll give it a month and see if it "grows" on me.
Haven't even picked it up yet. Perhaps it will cloverleaf at 25 yards and then I'll forget all about the finish.
It also has Bomar adjustable sights. I understand this is a limited production run, right?

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts