1911Forum banner

9mm 1911/2011 recommendations requested

1311 31
I'm looking for a 1911/2011 in 9mm and looking for sage advice.

For context, I'm 50 and have been shooting since childhood. I own a LOT of guns, but always gravitated towards 1911s and Glocks. After a fairly long hiatus, I got seriously back into shooting and have been taking private courses at a tactical range (I could write pages about that).

Along the way, I have been slowly upgrading all of my old gear. I recently got a wonderful 365XL with a Holosun red dot that is my primary carry gun.

Now I am thinking about investing in a larger high capacity 9mm 1911/2011 to run outside the wasteband on a battle belt, not as a carry gun.

Here's the thing -- I'm looking for a gun that shoots like my old Kimber 4" (.45), but holds 9mm and optimally a minimum of 15 rounds. Sure, I could find plenty of Sigs and Glocks, and I already own an old Browning Hi-Power -- I'm looking for a 1911 style trigger and function.

I'm currently researching new stuff by Staccato and Wilson Combat, but not sure what other options there may be, or if there is a current go-to for something like this.

I should also say that I have average to smaller hands and find the Glock 19, 1911s with thin grips, and the 365XL to be quite comfortable (although the 365XL is on the small side and I could handle something a little bigger). No ridiculously fat handles.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if I want an optic on this gun, but I'm leaning that way based on my recent positive experiences at the tactical range.

So what do you guys suggest?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greatly appreciate both of your comments and suggestions!

Curious about the 320 recommendation. I kind of swore off Sigs a while back, before trying the 365 and then being smitten with the whole package (conceivability, capacity, optic, and that trigger).

I kind of thought about something along those lines (Sig variants), but whenever I handle my old Kimber Pro, I can't get over the grip and trigger feel and how the gun never moves in my hand. Do you find you shoot the Sig better than your Springfield 1911 variants? How do the triggers compare and what sets it apart as far as the SHTF scenario? Optic, something more?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Experior is gorgeous and I'm sure I'd love it, but a little hesitant that it only holds 10 rounds. Looks like a fantastic carry gun, but I'm leaning towards higher capacity for range obstacle courses.

Curious -- did you pick this model over the others because it fits like a traditional 1911, or perhaps find the bulkier double-stacks to wide in the grip?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OP, here... So I went to four stores in my area yesterday and kicked the available tires. Some thoughts...

First stop - no Wilsons, but multiple Stoccatos. Handled a P DPO, a C2 with threaded barrel, and a P DPO with Comp. Also handled a SIG Customer Works 320 with threaded barrel. The SIG was awesome for what it was, but didn't compare to the Staccatos. The trigger was really great, but I want a 1911/2011 trigger action.

Between the Staccatos, I really liked the C2's shape, similar to my Kimber 4" Pro, and the P felt really good -- which seriously surprised me. The compensated P had the sandpaper Tac grip and I think I slightly preferred it to the G2 patterned P grip. I left the store very interested in these guns.

Also, the guy behind the counter who was giving me the tour was carrying a C2 with light appendix style. He was completely sold on the Staccatos (obviously) and said he regretted getting his before the threaded barrels came out (explaining the guns are matched-up in house, so it's not a simple drop in/out, and will cost you a buttload to replace after-the-fact). Of all the guns I was checking out, he was probably pushing the limited edition factory installed P with comp, saying how it was a deal with the comp/suppressor option, as opposed to the much more expensive XC.

Second stop -- normally have Wilsons, but nada. Did get to handle the Springfield Armory Prodigy. Very similar vibe and relative feel, but something was missing -- and they wouldn't let me dry fire. Also handled a ridiculously tricked out SIG 320 Legion Custom Shop with Leopold, etc. It was fine, but I was still thinking about the Staccatos.

Third stop -- nothing in 1911/2011, but did try another Sig.

Fourth stop -- wow. I had been to this place a year ago to pickup a gun I bought on gun broker, but it was a low stock day. I kind of thought it was either a front or going out of business, but I guess I hit the wrong day because yesterday... they had all high end stuff - like WOW. I tried a Wilson tuned Beretta 92, current Kimbers, Nighthawks, etc. Nighthawk's fit and finish were ridiculous. One had the most aggressive front strap I have ever felt (maybe a 10mm, I forget). They had a bunch of Stoccatos also -- two C2, a P, and maybe a C? Very knowledgeable owner (carrying a custom shop Springfield 45) spent a lot of time with me. Even checked out the bag and contents.

Ultimate takeaways:
1) I really wish I had an opportunity to try the new Wilson 15 rounders, but none anywhere near me.
2) the Staccatos were not too big for my comfort and smaller to average hand size (and nothing like my old double stack Para-Ordinance).
3) I definitely want a Staccato... and now which one...?

I went into this wanting a fancy range gun, as opposed to another carry gun. I doubt there is a better carry gun than my 365XL with holosun, unless I change out the handle for a Wilson or Macro grip. Still, those C2 kept calling to me, reminding me why I picked a Kimber 4" in the first place. I could see getting one down the road. Or, if I didn't already have a safe full of options, getting a C2 as a do-it-all kind of gun.

But I think I still like the idea of a dedicated larger duty/range/race gun with a threaded barrel (options) and optic cut (I love the fiber optic stock sight, but also now a believer in good dots), so I'm definitely leaning towards the P.

Only question is whether I grab that compensated model, or stick with the P DPO with threaded barrel.

What do you guys think?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Excellent response and question. Not really looking for the pussycat you mentioned. I currently have two cans in jail, but neither in this category (556/.22) and no immediate plans to add a 9mm, but you never know -- it never hurts to have options. Which suppressor is that? Any gas or action issues? Not sure how you would tune a setup like this. Is it outdoor hearing protection off quiet, or just tamer and flatter?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
OP again -- just came home from the shop and the winner was a Staccato P Duo, DLC threaded barrel.

Decided I didn't need the compensator for my intended application and will be adding an optic.

Leaning towards Holosun 507c ACSS Vulcan. I have a 507k on my Sig365XL and really like it. Larger will window will be nice and like the directional circle and chevron concept.

Friday range day... cannot wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts