1911Forum banner

9mm 1911/2011 recommendations requested

1310 31
I'm looking for a 1911/2011 in 9mm and looking for sage advice.

For context, I'm 50 and have been shooting since childhood. I own a LOT of guns, but always gravitated towards 1911s and Glocks. After a fairly long hiatus, I got seriously back into shooting and have been taking private courses at a tactical range (I could write pages about that).

Along the way, I have been slowly upgrading all of my old gear. I recently got a wonderful 365XL with a Holosun red dot that is my primary carry gun.

Now I am thinking about investing in a larger high capacity 9mm 1911/2011 to run outside the wasteband on a battle belt, not as a carry gun.

Here's the thing -- I'm looking for a gun that shoots like my old Kimber 4" (.45), but holds 9mm and optimally a minimum of 15 rounds. Sure, I could find plenty of Sigs and Glocks, and I already own an old Browning Hi-Power -- I'm looking for a 1911 style trigger and function.

I'm currently researching new stuff by Staccato and Wilson Combat, but not sure what other options there may be, or if there is a current go-to for something like this.

I should also say that I have average to smaller hands and find the Glock 19, 1911s with thin grips, and the 365XL to be quite comfortable (although the 365XL is on the small side and I could handle something a little bigger). No ridiculously fat handles.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if I want an optic on this gun, but I'm leaning that way based on my recent positive experiences at the tactical range.

So what do you guys suggest?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
902 Posts
You should probably go handle a Staccato before you make any decisions. It is a bit beefier of a grip because of the double stack. But I would recommend one all day long if it’s within your budget. I bought the Staccato P DPO not to long ago and I don’t find myself leaving it behind much. I went with the DPO model for future optic if I decide to go that route (or my eyes decide for me).

Springfield has released the Prodigy model which I have tried and it’s a damn close contender for a lot cheaper.

My brother-in-law recently picked up a Springfield Ronin in 9mm and I was impressed by that pistol as well.

· Registered
902 Posts
I'd like to own a Staccato P https://staccato2011.com/handguns/staccato-p/

... but I'm a little put off by the price of the gun, the price of mags, and the odd-ness of the slide/frame that makes them somewhat non-1911ish when searching for holsters.
I agree. That’s why I shot one first before dropping that kind of coin. It was well worth it in my opinion and I have not looked back one time. And in all honesty, one look at Wilson’s, Nighthawks, or some of the boutique 2011s really deadens the blow for the price of a Staccato.

· Registered
902 Posts
The price of the gun is the thing that bothers me the least of the concerns I brought up.

Admittedly, I don't follow double stack 1911/2011 mags as much as I do single stack 1911 mags, even though we have a thread like this ...

... I feel significantly more confident in the reliable options for single stack 1911 mags than I do for the options available for 2011's. If my $35 CMC PowerMag doesn't work, I probably have four or five other solid options in $20 - $40 price range I could try out. If my $70 Staccato mags don't work, I'm not sure what my options would be.
That’s a good point, and I’m knocking on wood as I type this, but I bought 2 20 shot mags and a 17 shot so that I would have a total of 3 each. I’m pretty close to 2500 rounds down the pipe with this gun and zero failures. Admittedly, I’m a tad on the anal side of cleanliness, including the mags. I will say that they’re pretty stout and of high quality.

· Registered
902 Posts
Only question is whether I grab that compensated model, or stick with the P DPO with threaded barrel
I think it depends whether or not you plan to suppress it. Just my opinion here, but unless you really and I mean REALLY want a pussycat of a shooter, there is no need for a comp on these pistols. Seriously, uncomped, unsuppressed, the P model has next to no recoil. It’s about like shooting a mild 38 spl.

I purchased mine with the intent to suppress, and it definitely also acts as a “compensator” as well. This gun is at the top of my favorite pistol to shoot now.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

· Registered
902 Posts
it never hurts to have options.
Absolutely! Which is why I also chose the DPO model, for possible future red dot.

Which suppressor is that? Any gas or action issues? Not sure how you would tune a setup like this. Is it outdoor hearing protection off quiet, or just tamer and flatter?
That is the silencerco Omega 45K. I bought it because it’s multi-caliber. 9, 40, 45, and 300 BLK. All I need now is a 300 BLK rifle!
No issues whatsoever with it. It uses a piston for ensured cycling and no tuning needed. I just switch the different pistons out based on thread pitch and caliber. Shooting outside, 147 gr 9mm and 230 gr 45 ACP are perfectly comfortable without hearing protection. 115 and 124 gr 9mm not so much, they’re just moving too fast. 180 gr 40 S&W is a tad uncomfortable, and I believe needs to be slowed down to about 900-950fps, but also still reliably cycle the action. Factory ammo moves at about 1000 fps. One of these days I’m going to get set-up to reload for 40, and I plan to drum up a recipe that works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts