1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed assembling a 1911 in 9mm. I used a new Caspian 9mm commander size frame and a Colt slide, Colt barrel and everything else is factory Colt parts. Everything fits well and functions fine with ball ammo. Completely reliable with ball. However, hollow points fail to feed. The round noses into the barrel ramp just above the frame ramp and hangs up instead of sliding into the chamber. Any suggestions or am I destined to only shoot ball ammo?

·
Registered
570 Posts
is the frame ramp a smooth transition to the barrel ramp? If so that might be the problem. There needs to be a small step... or should I say the edge of the barrel ramp should be slightly forward of the frame ramp so as the hollow point slides up it drops off one ramp and slightly forward to the other minimizing the chance of an edge for the hp to snag on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the slide pushed the next round out of the mag, it slides up the frame ramp and slips over the edge and then lodges into the face of the chamber ramp. There is a space of what appears to be about 1/32" between the frame ramp and chamber ramp. I have not measured this, but I will tomorrow and I'll take a few pictures.

·
Registered
853 Posts
dbracin,

I've done 2 1911/9mm builds; the 9 is different animal in the 1911. I had the same problem on one of my builds and I had to recut the feedramp to 24 degrees. The stock ramp was about 20 degrees, which feeds ball ammo fine.

Obviously the barrels ramp should be very slick, I wrap progressively finer wet/dry sandpaper on a dremel at low speed and just let the ends of the sandpaper "flap" contact the ramp. I put no pressure on the ramp. I finish up with a fine polishing compound until I have a mirror finish.

My 1911/9mm will feed those SWC like 147gn cast flat nosed bullets effortlessly.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
9mm rounds nose dive

Sometimes, the type of magazine used will make a difference. What brand of magazines are you using? I like and prefer the Wilson ETM mags.

Sometimes, a loose magazine that has vertical movement can cause the mag to sit lower in the frame. If you have a loose mag, you may want to hold the mag up as high as possible (set the gun on a table) and with dummy rounds, try cycling some JHP rounds through the gun by hand. If the JHP's feed better, you might want to consider purchasing a higher mag catch, sold through EGW. This lifts the mag in the frame (thicker/higher mag ledge) and helps the round to strike higher on the feed ramp.

Also, with the slide off, insert a full mag in the gun, and check to make sure the top round is not hitting the ejector. Some of the Colt long 9mm ejectors are a little thick, and may cause feeding problems if the top round of the mag is rubbing on the ejector.

If all else fails, you may need to have a qualified smith check out the feed ramp angle, as suggested by Schmecky.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
A cursory glance at my 9mm and .45 ACP M1911s indicates a different ramp angle. Not sure which frame angle you're using, it may be the other one.

Springfield "Pattern" 9mm M1911 magazines have a little feed ramp built into the magazine, the front fact is creased and the rounds fit flush with the back edge of the magazine; Colt "Pattern" magazines have a spacer along the back edge and position the cartridges at the front of the magazine. Try the "other" pattern from what you're using and see if it helps. My M1991 9mm feeds from either pattern.

-- Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts