1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am seriously considering a 9mm Eagle 5.0. I have vasellated back and forth between a Glock 35 (.40) and a Kimber Ten II (.45) in my monthly club matches during the past year and haven't warmed to either. I shot my 9mm Mk III Hi-Power in yesterday's match and thoroughly enjoyed the firing behavior. I think that I have reached the point where I am willing to accept the "consequences" of shooting Minor in exchange for the mellow 9mm recoil and super cheap Blazer ammo.

Although my club is not affiliated with IPSC or IDPA, I don't want to rule out the possibility of shooting such venues in the future. Even so, I have no serious aspirations so don't feel that the Minor "penalties" would ever weigh heavily against my other preferences. Is it likely that I would come to regret the Eagle in 9mm (vs. .40)? ie are the 9mm STIs as reliable as .40s and .45s? Would it be next to impossible to sell it if I ever had to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Do you reload? If so, get the gun in .40 or .45 and simply download your ammo to minor PF. At some time in the future if you decide you want to shoot major, you're not stuck with a minor-only caliber.

I do not think you would have any trouble reselling a 9mm Eagle though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I honestly don't ever see myself reloading. It's just much too easy to plop down a $100 for a case of Blazer 9 !

·
Registered
110 Posts
read the info on 9mm 2011/1911 style pistols I posted over on 1800 dollar paper weight part2 and STI Trojan threads understand what you are buying. The 2011 is a wonderful pistol and can be rechamberd to 9x23 or .38 Super Comp.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
as the owner of a Edge 9...ill chime in...now that i managed to get the mags tuned to the gun, the gun will feed reliably, and is more accurate than it has any right to be. The only issue im having now is on the slide drop on a full mag. sometimes you need to push on it to get it to feed. Chris says itll break in, and i trust him. Chris and STI have been VERY fair and helpful with the problems and fixed everything with no loss to me other than time.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Decide what class you want to shoot in... 9mm, I think, is generally only used in Production (USPSA) classes [10 round max, DA first shot, factory standard sights), in limited, it's pretty much .40 (well 1st) or .45 (2nd).

I shoot a Beretta 9MM in Production, and it's fine, because that's what you're competing against. I did just make up new loads for my beretta 40, much light to PF140 - and I'll start using that.

For Limited-10 I use a Kimber .45, for Limited I'm still trying to get an SVI Infinity in .40 S&W

Look at the classes, go watch a match, it'll help you decide. Also, you might pick up Matt Burketts book.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you are comfortable with the 9mm go for it. It is minor Limited 10 in USPSA and ESP in IDPA . In USPSA you have a handicap but in IDPA you are at the top of the class for equipment. I think you would be best served by getting the gun you like and going from there. If you decide to shoot USPSA you may need a new gun later. But that is a bad thing, WHY?
Ed Henry

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
It is a little harder to get the STI widebody style guns like the Eagle to run 100% with 9mm, because 9mm is shorter, and the guns are designed around the length of .45 ammo. But if you are willing to get the mags tuned to the gun and spend a little time tuning everything, the Eagle will be an awesome IDPA gun for ESP and you can have tons of fun with it in USPSA Limited or Limited 10 division too.

Most folks who shoot an STI or SV style gun in .40 reload their own rounds and reload them to longer than standard length, to help with feeding.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Hello harisssssss,
I have to agree with kbear38S. If you are going to spend that amount of money on a STI Eagle think seriously about reloading. If you ever start to shoot USPSA or IDPA you will be better off with a .40 in the long run. As you get use to the recoil you will want to shoot major in USPSA. You can load the .40 down to minor and have a bigger hole on the target for those hits on the edge. This would also work in IDPA. I was surprised to hear Robbie Leatham shoot a .40 in Production until I read on the HS2000/XD Site he loaded it to a power factor of 140. Also Dillon has a deal where you can buy their top of the line in 4 payments. GrandmasterB is also right about getting a 9MM to feed in a 1911 size frame. If I can reload without blowing my pistol up so can you.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your responses. I have to admit that shooting .40 at 140PF DOES sound appealing. If I sold my G35 and Ten II, purchasing the Eagle wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I suppose that a Dillon could be in my future. While I mull this all over, I will continue shooting the Hi-Power in my monthly matches. I just now purchased some "band-aids" for it through C&S: a light trigger pull sear lever and an extended slide release.

I have "home 'smithed" the HP pretty extensively: removed the mag safety, stoned the sear, cut two coils off the mainspring, and overstressed the trigger spring...the new lever should be the icing on the trigger pull . I'm going to cut the forward end off the the new slide release lever to prevent my forward thumb from brushing it under recoil and causing the slide to lock open. My wife wouldn't let me cut on the stock one. A year ago when I was (foolishly) considering trading the HP away, she insisted on "buying" it from me for $300 for the purpose of "keeping it in the family" (smart lady). I doubt she'll ever make me buy it back despite the fact that it will be my match gun until I make the Eagle .40/Dillon decision (he he he)...

·
Registered
674 Posts
The reason Mr. Leatham shot 40 was the 9mm lond xd was not available at that time and although he could get one as a factory guy it would not be legal for compition until they were/are availble. He said that he would rather shoot 9mm in production because of avaliablity of good factory ammo that makes minor.

A double stack from either STI or SV would only work in IDPA if it has a bushing type barrel. Most if not all come standard with a cone barrel which is not legal in IDPA. Some clubs will let you shoot them but you can not good to the big matches.

Ed Henry

·
Registered
306 Posts
The BHP was designed to run with 9mm and from my experience it is stone cold reliable. The BHP has similar ergonomics as a 1911 but not the short trigger reset--that's the only real disadvantage. Unlike the BHP, the 1911 was designed to work with .45 ball ammo. That's what it does best.

If it were my money, I'd trick out the BHP--like you're doing--and would get an IPSC gun (if I decided to go that way) in .40 or .45. You could shoot a 9mm in Lim-10 for fun, but shooting minor in that class can get real old fast. Eventually you get tired of getting beat badly--unless you're David Sevigny and can win using minor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sevigny shoots minor in Production division only, just like everyone else. In Limited he shoots a 35... with major power ammo.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yes, but if you put all the divisions together for an unofficial "overall" result, Sevigny's score shooting Production/minor nearly beat all the Limited-10 guys shooting major.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yes, but if you put all the divisions together for an unofficial "overall" result, Sevigny's score shooting Production/minor nearly beat all the Limited-10 guys shooting major.
It's absolutely meaningless to compare combined results. The only way it would be even close to being valid is to use the hit factors for the production/minor scores and see how the place in the major divisions. Remember, match points are a function of where the shooter places in a given division and if you win the division, you always get 100% of the points. The same HF that wins a production division stage may not fare nearly as well in a division when it's scored against major shooters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
9mm A Mistake

harisssssss,

I bought a 9mm Eagle with 5.0 inch barrell and bushing, it is legal for IDPA. The only thing you have to watch out for is the 1 3/4 inch magwell as the IDPA box is 1 5/8 inch high. I solved that by getting a 1 1/2 inch magwell from Mark Krebs of Krebbs Gunsmithing, on line, and installing it. I have shot about 500 rounds through it without the first malfunction of any sort. It came with one of the old mags and I bought 4 of the new ones, all work just fine except the older style is harder to seat with one in the chamber during reloads. I have reloaded and shot well over 50,000 rounds of 9mm and .45 caliber through just about every make and model 1911 and Glock out there. I just had my 62nd birthday and decided to go with only 9mm as it is easier on the old bones so I sold all but my Glock 19 (My carry gun) and bought the Eagle, it's a great gun. Also sold all of my reloading equipment as 9mm is so cheap. Whatever you do, practice a lot, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the pleasant surprise oct_97...

As this was posted over 7 months ago, I was flabbergasted to receive notification of your response. The strangest aspect of all of this, however, is that I bought a 9mm 1911 just last weekend!

I "settled" for a Springfield Armory single stack. I just can't get excited about double stack 1911s. I put around 200 rounds through it on the first outing. Disappointingly enough, I repeatedly experienced an odd Type II. Please continue reading in the Springfield section under "Atypical 9mm Type II Malfunctions".

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts