1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say a Stainless Target II in 9mm and a Pro Carry HD II in .38 Super today.

$879 and $839, respectively. First time I'd actually seen either.

Unfortunately, no room in the budget right now for more guns!

:-(

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank your lucky stars! My 9mm is a piece of junk! Won't feed, eject or lock back! $277 at the gunsmith and he said it would be just fine. To be fair, only about half of the money was to make the gun work, the rest was to make it better.

It's a don't buy!!!!!!

Rich

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Really?!

I bought both the 9mm and 10mm and they run fine!

It's a pity that Kimber is letting QC slip to the point of "Don't Buy" recommendations, but I'm glad I've not been bit... yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a Kimber 9mm a few days ago. I've put 750 rounds through it without a problem. It performs as good as a my pre-series IIs (Stainless Custom and Stainless Compact).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have two HDII's in 38 super. One has about 400 rounds through it and the other about 150 with no problems. The Super in this design had very little recoil, weight, bull barrel etc. The 9mm must shoot like a .22.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It does feel like a .22 especially after I shoot my .45. It's amazing how much faster and more accurately I can shoot my 9mm. I debated on getting a .38 super, but decided on the 9mm due to ammo costs. What are the advantages of the .38 super besides being a better defensive round. I see many of my fellow match shooters shooting .38 super vs. 9mm.

·
Banned
141 Posts
1911Lieber said:
It does feel like a .22 especially after I shoot my .45. It's amazing how much faster and more accurately I can shoot my 9mm. I debated on getting a .38 super, but decided on the 9mm due to ammo costs. What are the advantages of the .38 super besides being a better defensive round. I see many of my fellow match shooters shooting .38 super vs. 9mm.
It depends on what match are you participating in ... for example in IPSC (or USPSA) the .38super is used to gain better scoring (stronger ammo basically) where 9mm would be unsafe ... and so on ...
It's a pity that in my country we are virtually limited to non-expanding bullets (with a very few allowed) - that makes a 38super a worse defensive round (also the price does not make it a good round around here unless you reload)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have several Kimber's... absolutely love my 9mm Kimber, I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy one because I have had to put so much work into fixing it, but now that I've fixed all that was missed by Kimber QC - I love it, but it took a lot of work.

1. Wouldn't lock back on empty magazine, turned out the slide release was a .45 model, not a 9mm release. Got a Wilson and that fixed it.
2. Wouldn't extract reliable, turned out the extractor wasn't anywhere close to touching the case head. If you tried to eject a live round it would just fall down the magwell, or if a magazine was in place it would just fall on top of the magazine follower.
3. Adjustable rear sight was almost impossible to adjust (yes, allen screw was loosened)... screw was just very very hard to turn..
4. Slide cracked at around 500 rounds...

Now that I have fixed everything, it works flawlessly and I love it... but I wouldnt' do it again.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i would like a 9mm 1911 but i feel they are sorta pricey.:(

·
Registered
319 Posts
Dobe said:
Slide cracked, and you still have it? Why didn't you send it back?
I tried to talk to Kimber C/S, emailed them photo's and they said I had to return it at my expense (overnight FedEx $50.00) so that they could take a look at it, I couldn't reason with them... it really irked me so I just fixed the dang thing myself and be done with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ramburgy said:
Thank your lucky stars! My 9mm is a piece of junk! Won't feed, eject or lock back!
Rich
Hate to say you spent the money for nothing but the problem could have been your magazines. I was given ONE from the factory with my new 9mm and it STINKS so bad I won't even use it to charge my gun.

I bought 10 Mec-gar 1911 9mm mags and NO problems.

....and only $12 for SS!

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/mecgar/mecgar.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts