1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

If you were to build a 9mm 1911, would you prefer a ramped barrel or the standard style for a steel frame?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
9mm is a high pressure round

If you are going to shoot reloads, take note that some brass might be too weak (over used) for reloading and a case rupture is likely to happen. Ramp barrel offers extra support and safety in this situation. Also, some noted that a ramp barrel makes feeding easier in 1911's chambered for short cartridges (' jury is still out there).
I built a Caspian frame and S.A. slide 9mm using a Kart ramp barrel.....It's sweet! It's well worth the effort. :) :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I talked to about 10 smiths when I started my 9mm, and they were very evenly divided on this issue, both with respect reliability and case support. No consensus at all.

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
Just for some anecdotal experience:
My Colt 1991A1 9mm and 1954 Super with 9mmP barrel feed just fine with their standard barrels and normal ramp and throat work.
A Caspian parts gun with the Jarvis Kam-Lok having a short integral ramp with some ramp in the cam block - kind of a knockoff of H&K USP system - was a disaster, feeding roundnose at max OAL only. I went to considerable trouble and expense having a filler block made and inserted so as to return it to a standard barrel so I could shoot ball and JHP.
A Springfield Ultra Compact 9mm with integral ramp was fair with roundnose (they fed but you could feel the drag hand cycling), poor with hollowpoint. FLG recut, not just polished, the ramp to where it would feed all my ammo. It now has less casehead support, probably no better than a conventional barrel; but it feeds, which is essential.

I don't worry about casehead support. I don't think I have ever even seen a blown casehead in 9mm, unlike .38 Super, .40, and even .45 ACP.

Caspian will make up about any style of receiver and slide you want and fit them, too; but I don't know anybody who supplies and fits the barrel for you leaving only the action parts for DIY.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
THANKS for all the replys.

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
Feed ramps

I have been reading about the 9mm and 45 ACP feedramps being different. I haven't found the difference in Kunhausen's manuals.

Is the 9mm ramp farther or closer to the magazine than the 45ACP feedramp? Or is this perhaps and build and tune step?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Sockman;
To lay "myth" aside; A specialty of mine is 9mm PPC & Bullseye guns in 1911 configuration. Competitive shooters will not tolerate malfunctions. Ramped barrels are superior to standard barrels in accuracy terms. The best groups/championships,etc., have all been with ramped barrels. When installed {properly}, the ramped barrel is as close to a fixed barrel as you can get.
There are many factors to consider when machining the frame that affect the outcome. Feeding has little to do with the ramp and all about where the barrel stops at link down.
Must get to work

Later

Jerry

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Here is my take on it for what it's worth...

Ramped barrels have the POTENTIAL to give you more case support. How they are installed and the degree to which they are "throated" determines how much more, if any, extra case support you actually get out of them. Note that Glock barrels have negligible case support, yet are ramped barrels.

If we are talking about .45 ACP, the consensus of the 'smiths I have talked to is that a ramped barrel is at best unnecessary, and at worst a positive hindrance, to reliability. They can be "made to work," but that's not the same as working well by design. For skinnier cartridges, however, ramped barrels tend to work just fine, which is convenient since the skinnier cartridges also tend to be higher cartridges that need more case support in the first place.

Another reason to use a ramped barrel is if the 1911 has an aluminum frame, since depending on the magazine type and ammunition used a "frame ramp" on an aluminum 1911 can get chewed up pretty well over time. Not really applicalbe if you are using steel, just a thought.

For a 9x19, I'd suggest that it probably doesn't matter so much either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts