1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today and encountered a small problem with my 9mm 1991A1. The ejector bent in the opposite direction of the ejection port bad enough for the slide to seize open on me.

I had noticed the bend after shooting it for the 1st time. I figured the extractor might have been a little off and was causing the empties to hit the ejector at a bad angle on their way out bending it a little each time. Extractor tension seemed OK upon inspection, and I thought I had solved the problem by bending the ejector back straight with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Ive put about 2000rds through the gun since then and hadnt noticed any problems with it between sessions until today when the slide seized open on me after about 100rds. I bent the ejector back straight again so I could get the slide back on, put the gun back in my bag, and disgustedly left the range. Im now thinking that something is really not right and needs to be permanantly fixed by a competent smith.

I have no plans to sit around and tool on the gun myself trying to fix it but, I was just curious if anyone might have an idea of whats causing the ejector to get bent the way it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
This is a tough one without being able to see the pistol. My first opinion would have to be that the ejector is much too soft and/or may have been installed incorrectly, even without being pinned.
That spent case hits the ejector with lots of force, and I mean lots! If you were able to bend it with longnose pliers, it's got to be soft...it may also be too long.
Anybody else got any good thoughts??

·
Registered
605 Posts
One of our club members had the same model/same problem a couple of years ago. Replaced the part with an aftermarket piece and the gun is still running fine. We concluded the factory part was too long and too soft.

Mikey

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bob Brown:
If you were able to bend it with longnose pliers, it's got to be soft...it may also be too long.
Thats what I thought. I was kind of shocked the other day when I looked at the ejector on the MK IV .38 super I bought. I was going to post here, but the gun ran rather flawlessly so I forgot about it.

The MK IV was the 1st .38 super Ive owned and, I was shocked because difference in length between the ejector on my 1991A1 9mm and the one on the super is rather extreme. I had thought that they were supposed to be the same for both calibers. The 9mm ejector is at least 3/8" longer than the ejectors in my .45s, while the super ejector was shorter than the ones in my .45s. I was thoroughly confused, but had no reliability issues in either the 9mm or the super.

The fact that I could bend the ejector back with a set of pliers also bothered me. I concur that it must be pretty soft. Ive checked it every time Ive shot the gun since I re-bent it originally and have seen no signs of it gradually becoming bent out of line again, until today when it just kinda gave. I didnt want to keep shooting after I bent it back today becuase I figured the steel was probably weak enough to shear the next time it got hit wrong.

Ive been checking Mr. Heinie's website and Im entertaining the idea of sending the gun off for a full rebuild & scallop. I know its only a 9mm, but the gun really is a total hoot to bring to the range.

Thannks for the responses, I learn more everytime I log on to this site.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The 9mm ejector is long from the factory.
Guess they figure it will not come back with as much force so start it ejecting sooner. also remember the mag has a filler so the next round will be coming up sooner on this set up.

if you bent it and back 2 times that is really soft. Yes.
when you replace it with an aftermarket ejector, make sure you can clear the gun with live rounds.
geo ><>

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
EGW, George Smith's company, makes the best ejectors, bar none.
They have fillet radii in the corners and are quite well heat-treated.
I seriously doubt if I will ever see one fail.

Chuck

·
2,975 Posts
I had the same exact problem. The ejector is TOO LONG and TOO SOFT as many have mentioned here. I use an extended 38 super ejector in mine and it works fine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ditto the wrench. George makes really good stuff and his part would work fine. 9mm 1911's are not much of a gun and will not ever be much. The gun was designed for 45 ACP and that's what works. Jeff Cooper has a wonderful name for 9mm, he calls them crunchintickers.You are fighting the laws of physics because the 9mm does not have enough power to work the slide. Colt quit them for a good reason. Thay got tired of trying to make them run. Put a 38 super barrel in that thing and a new part from George and you might end up with a pistol. A barrel and some new mags will give you a shooter. I have reamed 9mm barrels with a 38 super reamer and achieved the same result. Machine gun ammo is another answer. Then you would really have some fun at the range!

·
2,975 Posts
9mm makes more than enough power to move the slide. If the laws of physics were the problem, then you couldn't get away with 185s going 700 fps and a .22 conversion (ACE) wouldn't be impossible.

The problem is mainly that the frame was designed for a longer cartridge and the cheap fix was an ejector that isn't designed correctly.

I can shoot factory and downloaded 9mms all day so it isn't due to any shortcomings of the cartridge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Dave Sample:
Ditto the wrench. George makes really good stuff and his part would work fine. 9mm 1911's are not much of a gun and will not ever be much. The gun was designed for 45 ACP and that's what works. Jeff Cooper has a wonderful name for 9mm, he calls them crunchintickers.You are fighting the laws of physics because the 9mm does not have enough power to work the slide. Colt quit them for a good reason. Thay got tired of trying to make them run. Put a 38 super barrel in that thing and a new part from George and you might end up with a pistol
Thanks pistolwrench, Im currently shopping for a .38 super ejector for my 1991A1 9mm and thats exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Dave Sample: Im not attempting to flame you at all, but your Cooper quote is out of context with this post. I fully understand the "9mm is not much of a gun" (well, its not much compared to a .223 anyway) and the 1911 "was designed for" the .45ACP cartridge. But, my 1991A1 9mm has run better than a lot better than many of my .45ACP 1911s and while a BG might realize the difference in caliber, the paper targets, bowling pins, and steel plates wont. This is not a self defense gun, its a fun gun. I already have a nice .38 super and I have better calibers than either 9mm, .38 super, or .45ACP for self defense.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi SHUZ, good post on the ejector, if I were you I'd send your frame to George, after all, he makes the best ejector, let him fit it properly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Shuz. I must beg your pardon. I misunderstood you . I thought your 9mm was not running right and was jamming at the range.You can "flame me" any time because I can take the heat. You must remember I built guns for serious people. I guess I don't relate to people who consider them toys. My apologies, sir.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts