1911Forum banner

9mm Combat Commander Range Session

1114 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  wags
Earlier this year I acquired a stock 9mm Combat Commander w/satin nickel finish (serial# 70SC27XXX). Gun I would say is almost 95% due to scratches in finish. Smooth grips with silver Colt medallion, one nickel and one blued Colt 9 shot mags. The gun feels pretty tight. The owner didn't shoot it much other than never cleaning it in a few years. I had to completely field strip it and clean out green goop all over the insides. Replaced all the springs with Wolffs and even bought two extra new Colt stainless mags.

Took it out for the first time Sunday with 300 rounds of ammo and have at it. I had 100 old Gecco 125gr ball ammo, 100 Remington 115gr ball and 100 Speer 147gr JHP's that I loaded who knows when since I mainly stay with 115gr reloads in 9mm.

I was worried that the JHP's would hang up since the pistol was stock and the barrel was not throated. Didn't seem to bother it one bit. 100% reliable so far. I knew the FMJ's would feed, but was really waiting for the failure to feeds with the JHP's. I was punching paper and shooting hedge apples having lots of fun. Accuracy was acceptable. A great 2 hours with this little gem.

My only complaint is the little bump and hump sights. I don't plan on sight replacements since my Novak BHP's pretty much dictate all my shooting time. I'm really happy with this little gal and hope to have do more shooting with it in the future.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,320 Posts
.38 Super

I bought one just like your gun late last year but in .38 Super...I did however replace the sights and put in a longer trigger...it is a great shooter. The attached target was 18 round at 7 yards...before the headspaced on the case rim barrel was replaced with a BarSto... The original barrel did well up close but at 50' the new BarSto barrel does much better.

Bob

Attachments

· Super Moderator
13,633 Posts
9mm in Commander length is really fun to shoot. As for sights, here is an option for you.

The gun in this picture has a Yost-Bonitz rear sight and dovetailed front post, a more superior set up to the Colt factory sights. BTW, the gun in the picture is not mine.

· Premium Member
256 Posts
Hey Wags, Congrats!
I have a 1977 Combat Commander 9mm and these are a lot of fun!

SuperMan said:
I bought one just like your gun late last year but in .38 Super...barrel was replaced with a BarSto... Bob
Bob, have you tried 9x23 Win in that Barsto barrel? I was thinking about adding a Barsto "semi-drop in" 38S barrel to my 9mm commander, and real curious if it will chamber 9x23 just like my 38S Enhanced Colt barrels do - all my recent factory barrels chamber 9x23, not sure about Barsto chamber????
Thanks,
Tim

· Registered
3,320 Posts
stealthgoat said:
Hey Wags, Congrats!
I have a 1977 Combat Commander 9mm and these are a lot of fun!

Bob, have you tried 9x23 Win in that Barsto barrel? I was thinking about adding a Barsto "semi-drop in" 38S barrel to my 9mm commander, and real curious if it will chamber 9x23 just like my 38S Enhanced Colt barrels do - all my recent factory barrels chamber 9x23, not sure about Barsto chamber????
Thanks,
Tim
I have several guns with BarSto barrels in them and only one will not accept 9x23.... I almost had my smith open the chamber a little but since the gun shoots so good and I shoot so little 9x23 I didn't feel it was worth the risk...

Bob

· Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the support guys! This little gem has surprised me since I hear mainly negative feedback on Colts. I have not owned one since 1986 and very long over due.

The original sights will have to stay since I want to keep this pistol as stock as possible. I am liking the pictures though of the long triggers in the pictures I am seeing. I would like to maybe purchase a longer trigger (nickel finish) without the holes in it. Where could I find one at a decent price, and would this drop in or would it have to be fitted? Thanks.

Wags

· Registered
3,320 Posts
Brownells has solid aluminum triggers in medium and long lengths. They won't match the original trigger finish exactly but only the "knowning" (like you) would notice.

As to fit, if you can detail strip the gun you can probably fit the trigger. Usually a stone to remove some metal from the top, bottom or sides of the trigger and a little common sense is all that is needed.

Bob

· Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ricky T and SuperMan, thanks for the quick feedback concerning the trigger. Guess I'll hopp on over to Brownells and look for medium to long triggers. I think I should also handle a 1911 with both before I start ordering.

Thank goodness I have plenty of stones and the correct tools laying around SuperMan in case it's not a drop in fit. I like to disassemble all my firearms when needed, but still leary after 45yrs of making adjustments that remove material. This sounds like a job I can handle. I'll try to get pictures once I'm off these 60+ hours weeks here at work. Thanks guys.

Wags

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.