1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

can i use 9mm brass in a .38super chamber if i load the rounds very long?

someone told me i can. another friend has quit shooting 9mm and gave me about 15,000 pieces of once fired brass he was saving up to reload for.

i am using a .38supercomp single stack gun for idpa esp class, but would love to save money on the brass expense allowing me to shoot more.

thanks a bunch

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think you have the perfect excuse to buy a new gun, actually. A 9 mm, so all that brass doesn't go to waste.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
550 Posts
No. Your super headspaces either on the case mouth or the semi-rim, depending on your barrel design. In either situation, 9mm brass would not headspace properly. The 9mm lacks the super's semi-rim, and the 9mm case is shorter.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
They are in no way interchangeable. Without reviewing the case dimensions (which are totally different), right off the bat you may notice that the 9mm is a tapered case while the .38 Super is straight walled.

Whoever told you it was a good idea should be ignored in the future.

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
No. But...
That is $300+ worth of brass with more brass and econo-ball ammo available cheap. You might find it worthwhile to buy a 9mm barrel. What make and style are your frame and magazines? I get good feeding of 9mm ball out of Metalform single stack .38 magazines. The Shooting Star I tried fed ok, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts