1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to order a Custom Carry in 9mm? If so, what/where is the best place to place the order?

If not, what Baer models are available in 9mm?

Thank you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
According to the Baer website, their Custom Carry comes in .45 ACP and .38 Super. If you want someone who knows everything about Baer's, call John at Pro Load Distributors. His number is 208-772-2339. Or check out his website at www.proload.com. You won't find a nicer guy or better prices.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will give him a call in the morning.

I saw the Les Baer web-site, but I was hoping one could be ordered in a different caliber.

Again, I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
curious what the answer will be, several friends are starting to carry 1911s in 9mm and shoot idpa with them, cheaper ammo, :). Most are carrying EMPs or Kimbers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a FYI.

I received an email today from Brenda at LBC. LBC will make any of their handguns, which are listed as or advertised as a 38super, into a 9mm-for an additional cost.

John at ProLoad mentioned that these hanguns are scheduled to experience a price increase after Christmas. He was unsure of exactly when or how much. Just that this is scheduled.

I am debating between a 9mm LBC Custom Carry and a Wilson CQB.

Not to hijack my own thread, but any thoughts/opinions as to which one I should order?

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The fit and finish on the Wilson's is far superior but so is the cost! The Wilson is fitted "RIGHT" from the git go, you don't have to "shoot it in". As an electro- mechanical engineer I can tell you its better that parts are correctly fitted rather than having them beat into each other until they wear in!

The Wilsons will all shoot 1.5" at 25 yds as will the Baers but the Wilsons you'll actually be able to get the bushing off without eating your wheaties.

AND the folks at Wilsons are NICE......they will answer your question with a real answer instead of "because thats the way we make them". They will make you feel they were glad you called, and if you have a problem they will work with you .

Now that said I have more Baers than Wilsons because of said cost.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Get the Baer. If it is going to a "play" gun and not a carry gun, look at the Monolith or even the Monolith Heavyweight. With their extra weight up front, and a 9mm platform, they won't recoil at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have to admit, I am leaning towards the 9mm CQB.

This is what I originally set out to get (CQB)...and for a 9mm Custom Carry, the price is going to be about the same as the CQB.

I don't think I will go wrong with either, but I think for 2k, I would like to have something that functions perfectly right out of the box.

I will be placing the order shortly after Christmas, so I'm sure I will change my mind another time or two.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Don't buy into the hype that Wilson's run straight out of the box and Baer's don't. I've personally seen a new CQB that would only run 30-40 rds before needing to be stripped and cleaned. This occurred at Gunsite. At a YFA Class I observed a CQB that would not run without a shock-buff installed. Don't get me started on KZ-45s. That said, I do like Wilsons and know of several very good ones. Baer's may indeed need some breaking in but in my experience(4 TRSs and a SRP) it is minimal. The only problems I've had w/Baer's were from some "home gunsmithing" on my first TRS (and it still ran perfectly) from before I bought it and from some of the Para mags on my SRP.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your imput.

I have been shooting since I was a little kid and I have never had the slightest issue with any gun I have ever owned. It amazes me that a lot of people have had issues with so many different types of guns...from inexpensive to very expensive.

I have always been taught to keep them clean and well fed...enough said. This has always worked for me. I didn't mean to imply that LB's are project guns...I don't believe that for a second.

I've just kind of had my sights set on a CQB. The Custom Carry is in the same class (IMO) and the same price range. I am more familiar with Wilsons than LB. Having said all of that, 2K is a lot of money, I just want to ensure that I do it right the first time with no second thoughts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts