1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while I will carry a 9MM. Usually have Corbon 115 +P's in it. Anyone got a better load for defense? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I prefer the 147-grainers; like the Federal Hydra-Shok, Federal Premium Hi Shok or the Federal Classic load - or the Winchester SXT. They are all standard pressure loads, which I like; less wear and tear on the gun.

Winchester's "Law Enforcement" 127-grain +P+ is another one, but might be hard to find.

I used to carry lighter bullet +P and +P+ loads, but after studying all the material I could find on the subject I switched to the heavier stuff. The lighter quick expanding bullets just don't penetrate enough for me. I am more concerned about not enough penetration, as opposed to too much.

Don't forget of course to make sure that whatever you settle on cycles reliably in your gun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. Accurate and hard hitting.
g26guy

------------------
"Long may it crackle!"--Jeff Cooper on the .22lr

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the COR-BONs 115JHP. That's what I trust in my wife's 3913 that she carries everyday! I like them because they work all the time, there is virtually NO muzzle flash and they're widely available. Their track record is also pretty impressive!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right now, I'm liking Speer Gold Dots in either 124 or 147 grain. Remington Golden Sabre in 124 gn. also comes highly recommended.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I currently use 124gr +P Golden Sabers. I have also heard good things about the 135 grain rounds in the form of the Federal Personal Defense load and the Trition Hi Shoks.

Whit, do a search on this board for a topic "Which 9mm ammo?" that I started a couple of months back. I got lots of thoughtful replies and reviews of various 9mm rounds.

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whit and all,

In 9mm, as all pistol calibers, shot placement is critical. I carry Winchester 115 grain Silvertips in my Hi-Power, Federal 115 grainers (Fed 9BP), or Corbon 115's. Since my Hi-Power likes the Winchester stuff I stick with it, mostly. The Winchester and Federal standard pressure stuff is giving about 82% one shot stops and the +P slightly better.

Remember, It's the man, not the gun or caliber...

Wes Howe
Willamette Small Arms Academy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Whit:
Once in a while I will carry a 9MM. Usually have Corbon 115 +P's in it. Anyone got a better load for defense? Thanks.
I recently asked this on a couple of other lists. This is the response I got.
First and foremost, 9mm is a marginal at best round to use for self-defense.
But, if a person wants, or has to carry it:
Winchester 124gr +P+ Ranger RA9SXTP
Federal 115GR.(+P+) Hi Shok 9BPLE

·
Registered
33 Posts
Think you are thinking of the ranger t at 127 grains like the ones I carry in my sig 239 +p+ 127 ra9tx. Good luck with any thing under 124 grains in 9 any way..

[This message has been edited by sig_in_tx (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
371 Posts
In 9mm my preferences is for 124 grains. I practice with M882 and my carry load is Gold Dot 124 grain. The design of any of the newer generation 9mm is great. I doubt you could go wrong with Golden Saber, Gold Dot, Ranger or Hydra-Shok. As has been mentioned previously, its all about placement. Put the round where it belongs and the caliber is not going to be a problem with 9mm. Good luck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Speer or Black Hills' loading of the 124-grain Gold Dot. Federal Tactical if you can get it. Winchester's 127-grain +P+ is a good load, but it really won't do anything the Gold Dot won't do at lower pressures. Cor-Bon has spotty quality control, and the 115-grain load from them tends to fragment and underpenetrate. I've seen it do as little as 7 inches in gel. I have yet to see any information from a reliable source that indicates it has a good 'track record' in real life.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
G26guy said:
Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. Accurate and hard hitting.
g26guy

------------------
"Long may it crackle!"--Jeff Cooper on the .22lr
Same here.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
garrettwc said:
I currently use 124gr +P Golden Sabers.

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.
+1

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Winchester 147 Gr SXT - that's what the horse riders carry and if it has been tested and approved by them it is good enough for me.

Stay Safe

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Speer 124+p GDHP is used by the NYPD and the have documentation on actual shootings, documentation show the Speer to be a great stopper and great on barriers. My opinion based on actual shooting, and NYPD has a few, is any 124+p bonded bullet from the top ammo makers should do it. My choice only two 1. 127+p winchester, 2. 124+p Speer GD, speer has a little more flash but liveable. I would carry either. Oh and one other consideration, the 124+p GD loaded instead of 1220 fps but to a sizzling 1310 fps made by Double Tap. Harsh wear, expensive, reliable, harsh recoil, accurate, and 357 Sig power, I sprung my Beretta to shoot this load and has 16 in it as we speak. Recoil still not on par with a 45 and the only mind set you need is you may have to throw away you gun after a few years of a steady diet. When I can, still perfer 200gr+P GD in a 45. Oh yeah DT make some of those too, but I ain't throwing away my 45.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts